Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchscreen freezes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I have a Model S 85D. Its about a year old. I have had virtually no problems whatsoever until about a month ago.

On at least 3 occasions the touchscreen froze. What I mean by that is that I had no control over any touchscreen functions. I pulled over to the side of the road and reboot it. All was well again.

About a week later, while traveling and using navigation, again it froze, but this time it was while a verbal command was being spoken. It kept repeating a single syllable over and over until I pulled over and did a reboot.

On another occasion, the touchscreen just went blank until I rebooted.

I have my first annual service appointment scheduled for next week and will have them look at it.

But is this something that is common and is it easily fixable? Has anyone experienced this and what was done?
Thanks in advance,
Steve

Try viewing and deleting all your past navigated destinations, I think it's the "Places" button..

you could have thousands of them by now.. the only way to delete them all is woodpecker your finger on the delete button as they scroll

..other than doing a "factory reset" ... which wipes the car of any memory and puts all settings back to day1

OP, I have previously reported similar issues to Tesla. They found memory constraint issues with my CID, but could not correlate it to my freezes and other problems, so asked me to write down date/time of reoccurrences so they could try to sync up with my log at the next service visit.

As @scottm suggests, I'll bet you're encountering the same thing as I have. Besides Nav HIstory, use of USB stick for music can add to the problems, as can (IMHO) Gracenotes album covers cache even by just playing FM... See this post I just wrote for another thread, and try the 2-wheel reboot but WITH the brake being held down the whole sequence until the Tesla T reappears. If you are playing USB music and have a bunch of tracks, try decreasing the number to under 6K (that's what I have at present) and keep your file structure hierarchy on the USB stick to only 1-3... Good luck.