Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow bar availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I was wondering the best way to contact Tesla to confirm tow bar availability for a Model Y. I'm wanting to purchase a used Model Y Long Range but the official Tesla Model Y towbar says it's out of stock. I've signed up to be notified but haven't heard anything in weeks. How is it best to contact Tesla customer service to get assistance as I don't want to buy a used Model Y and not be able to get a tow bar fitted. As I understand, I can't have a 3rd party towbar fitted as a software alteration needs to be made and can only be performed by Tesla.

This is the only thing holding me back for purchasing and I'm dying for the vehicle!

I would find the local Tesla phone number an talk to the service department for the availability, who knows they might have one in stock ready for installation.
You could try asking the question in the service section in the Tesla app, but I tend to prefer talking to someone on the phone (old school).

Thanks for your comment and aologies for the delay in response. I phoned Tesla customer service but they were only partially helpful. I enquired about availability of towbars as they're out of stock online and the advisor said to think of the website and the service centers as seperate entities. Once I have a vehicle, I can order the towbar and once it comes into stock, they will contact me to arrange fitment. The difficulty I have is and perhaps couldn't convey was whether there was actual stock available. I don't want to get the car and not get a towbar for 6 months. I tow relatively regularly (every 2 months or so) and don't want to get rid of my tow car until I know for certain that I can get a towbar fitted. But I would rather just part exchange my current vehicle for simplicity.
I can't contact Tesla Gatwick service centre direct as there isn't a direct phone number and they don't seem to respond to email (it's been a week with no acknowledgement).
I do feel a little disappointed that it is this difficult to find out availability of the towbar, particularly as Tesla won't enable the 'tow mode' software update with a 3rd party towbar bar. The trouble is, I want the car!