Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow bar on model 3 performance.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Tesla announced a few days ago that they now have the tow bar option for Uk but is this just for the standard a long range vehicles? When I try to add it to my performance model it's not an option.

Anyone know why?

Many thanks,

Peter

Yeah I spoke to a Tesla representative and he said that it wouldn't be available for the Performance. When I asked why he didn't know, he just said 'Well you wouldn't put a tow bar on a Ferrari' Which I thought was a pretty poor analogy considering a Ferrari is a super car and the model 3 is a fast family sedan.

Reactions: linkster
The load index per tire is limited for the 20" fitted to the performance :

18" - 235/45-18, 98W > 750 kg
19" - 235/40-19, 96W > 710 kg
20" - 235/35-20, 92Y > 630 kg

I raised the question if the P could be shipped with 19" for example, but this was not possible for some reason.

Reactions: AngryLitig8r
This discussion is even more interesting now that the LR has gone and its possible to buy a Performance, but without the Performance Pack and with the 18" aero wheels! I wanted a LR, with Tow Bar. Sure, the extra performance is nice, but more important for me is the tow bar. I had planned to go for 18 aero wheels anyway. I think 20" wheels on UK roads would be hard work, literally.

This discussion is even more interesting now that the LR has gone and its possible to buy a Performance, but without the Performance Pack and with the 18" aero wheels! I wanted a LR, with Tow Bar. Sure, the extra performance is nice, but more important for me is the tow bar. I had planned to go for 18 aero wheels anyway. I think 20" wheels on UK roads would be hard work, literally.

Agreed. I have a Performance on order and now very pleased to drop the 20" wheels, which our local roads would destroy in no time. 18" = Better ride quality, less tyre noise, improved range, cheaper tyres. Unfortunately, there is still no option to add a tow bar, but no good reason now why they can't offer it with the 18" wheels.

The suspension height and tire weight rating are very good points but another one being overlooked is warranty.

Tesla has made the choice that P model warranty is worth the risk and that towing with the lower power versions will result in minimal warranty exposure but maybe they are concerned that P and towing together might overexpose them to warranty claims. Now most of us drive responsibility when towing but if building a vehicle you have to look at IF someone is reckless and is doing full throttle with a trailer will the power train be ok with it.

Pretty common for the same vehicle to have different or lack ratings when shipped to different countries too, depends on what the manufacturer wants to certify. Friend has a couple cars that when sold ad Holdens in Australia are towing rated but not when sold here. Pretty sure which side the steering wheel is on doesn't weaken the structure or drivetrain.

The suspension height and tire weight rating are very good points but another one being overlooked is warranty.

Tesla has made the choice that P model warranty is worth the risk and that towing with the lower power versions will result in minimal warranty exposure but maybe they are concerned that P and towing together might overexpose them to warranty claims.

On the AWD, as soon as the tow hook is inserted it is recognized by the car. This can be easily used to reduce the power output while towing.

@Chipstix, is the P without the performance pack and 18" an off-menu item ?

Still extra warranty risk exposure even if the car is not using the high power and towing at the same time.

The potential warranty exposure is a feasible point, but in reality I doubt Tesla have even given it a second thought. More likely they simply couldn't be arsed to homologate the P model for towing at this point. But I fully expect the P model (at least with 18" wheels) will be available with a tow bar sooner or later depending on demand feedback. It can't be that hard to make it an option and very few people are likely to be towing significant weights with such a car. Many, like me, will just want it for bike racks and small trailers etc.

Now that they have started delivery of the P+, has anyone got a definitive evidence that a performance model cannot have a tow bar? Is the bottom completely different? Surely a 10mm drop would not make a difference. If it is a homologation issue, it should not stop the end user from fixing a tow bar if it is physically possible. Maybe Halfords got a kit for this.

It looks it's more linked to the wheels than the motor. In the manual :
Capture.PNG

Apparently it is possible with the P3D- to order the towbar.

Yesterday there we're a couple of inventory Model 3s with LR AWD Performance (performance without the performance pack) with the towbar option.

TowBar.PNG
Trekhaak is towbar in Dutch.

I cancelled my LR AWD and ordered one :)

Hopefully it is not a configuration error.
I got a delivery date back from Tesla: between the 19th of august 2019 and the 26th august 2019.

I send a message to my contact person at Tesla The Hague just to verify that this is not a configuration order.

I'll post an update as soon as I get more information.

Same in norway, we had about 20 P3D- with tow-bars added to the inventory.
All was grabed right away, but managed to snatch one up myself:

upload_2019-8-7_7-41-32.png

Tilhengerfeste = towbar

Also waiting for confimation from the delivery team that this is not an error.