Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow bar on model 3 performance.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to be clear, when you say Tow Bar, are you referring to a Trailer/Caravan Hitch or a tow bar for towing the M3 behind another vehicle, like a motorhome or truck? In the US, a tow bar is on the front used to pull the vehicle and a trailer hitch is on the rear used for pulling a trailer.

I asked the Tesla rep on my test drive about this. He said it was basically because they didn't think people would want to tow with the performance model, because people who bought the performance model wanted performance not a towing work horse...

New information added the their website: The performance has a reducted towing capasity of 500kg compared to the 910kg on the AWD.

Bestilling og levering - Model 3

Interesting this info and potentially adds some weight that there are hardware differences between LR AWD and base performance otherwise why differentiate a weight limit between the two when it would probably been so easy to just de-rate the performance when in tow mode. The only thing that I can come up with is regulatory restriction or Tesla decision based on some other unrelated to capabilities of the car factor. That said, it talks about two versions - hardware or regulatory?

Today I picked up my M3P with tow hitch. It was an inventory car, M3P / Black / 19" / tow option.
The tow option is indeed registered as 500kg instead of the 910kg of the AWD. The weight of the car is exactly the same as an AWD. So I think its complete bogus that the M3P can only do 500kg. I'm sure it can tow just as much as the AWD.
The M3P with tow also has trackmode, just misses the 20", red caliper brakes and spoiler.