Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow connection power source

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So random somewhat technical question... is the 12v power lead on the trailer 7 pin connector switched or always on?

If it stays always on, it could be a convenient way to keep a travel trailer powered during dry/boondock camping for extended trips. If we could arrive at the site with the MX even moderately charged, car would power the trailer for weeks with typical loads. My previous camper had 200 watts of solar with dual group 27 batteries, but obviously this can't compete with a 100kwh battery feeding the step down D.C.-D.C. Converter.

Second question, if it is switched power, does it come from the accessory rail with the 150watt limit or does it have a separate relay?

Kind of random, just trying to figure some things out prior to taking delivery in July.

Mine is switched. You can bypass it by putting the car in N and activating the parking brake. It is an early 90D, so it might not be the same as the current builds.

Unless you're only running an LED or two inside, I wouldn't count on the trailer wiring to provide much power to your trailer. It's mostly there to keep enough power for the electric brakes, and really isn't large enough gauge wire to do much more than that. You would be better off using the jumper terminals, but I don't know how feasible that is either.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler