Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow hitches with Model 3 [discussion]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kudos to you! Looks like you did a great job. At the same time, I am SOOOoooo glad I made sure I ordered the hitch. Either that or farmed it out to the service center so they "own" any issues. I just don't have a lot of free time for these types of projects anymore.
Looks like I'm going to do a repeat on my 3 as the local hitch place can't get the hitch from their supplier for 2 months, and is shorthanded through the busy season til fall so they can only install what they sell until then - which seems perfectly reasonable.

Looks great @Tedkidd
That bike looks pretty close to the bumper, especially that pedal.
Is that the double D rack?
It seems close to the bumper to me too.
The flats are much larger than the clipless I use in summer, and my GF uses the flats now that she's e-biking and doesn't need the added power of clipless.
The flats cause the cranks to spin in the wind above 60mph, and can also hit the other bike if positioned wrong.
So I "zip tie" them to the chainstay with an old toe strap so they stay put.

I went aftermarket for a Model S hitch in 2016 (no OEM option available), and that hitch later had a known issue of galvanic corrosion that was was addressed by EcoHitch, but not before causing corrosion to many cars (not mine, as far as I know). Given the chance, I would stick to the factory installed option for an important accessory such as this. It's not the place to cut corners.

I went aftermarket for a Model S hitch in 2016 (no OEM option available), and that hitch later had a known issue of galvanic corrosion that was was addressed by EcoHitch, but not before causing corrosion to many cars (not mine, as far as I know). Given the chance, I would stick to the factory installed option for an important accessory such as this. It's not the place to cut corners.
I believe that is what the washers are for.
Also, I think that may have had something to do with the S being aluminum rather than steel.

Definitely glad I went with the factory package but that little cover is a biatch to get off. I'll have to find the old threads I read about modifying it to make it easier to remove. I wish the inside door panels were stuck that well.

Definitely glad I went with the factory package but that little cover is a biatch to get off. I'll have to find the old threads I read about modifying it to make it easier to remove. I wish the inside door panels were stuck that well.
I have been watching this thread, and hope that @Pkotz will sell the "Pop Hitch"

Unless you install aftermarket hitch yourself for pure cost saving it doesn’t make sense getting anything but Tesla hitch.
Tesla comes with all wiring and functionality included for your screen.
I installed those hitches on my other cars but after doing some research and reading I would get it from Tesla.

Unless you install aftermarket hitch yourself for pure cost saving it doesn’t make sense getting anything but Tesla hitch.
Tesla comes with all wiring and functionality included for your screen.
I installed those hitches on my other cars but after doing some research and reading I would get it from Tesla.
Good point - the OEM (at time of purchase or after purchase) will include all parts/wires/software. However, if you are only planning to use a bike rack or other none 'towing' items then aftermarket with self-install could have a bit of a cost-saving.

Side note --- I have seen in other treads comments about 'add-on' and why spend 50-70K on a car then, they trying to 'save' on items like this -- but to each is their own :)

Good point - the OEM (at time of purchase or after purchase) will include all parts/wires/software. However, if you are only planning to use a bike rack or other none 'towing' items then aftermarket with self-install could have a bit of a cost-saving.
With Tesla hitch you will be able to go in trailer mode and disable nagging that something is behind your car.
With aftermarket hitch that is not an option.
So my view on this:
- Install $350 aftermarket hitch yourself $650-850 savings and some discomfort with software, missing wiring, but it is perfect for occasional bike use
- Professional install $350 for hitch + $300 labor cuts your savings to $350-550.

On a $55K car I would trade these $350-550 savings for wiring and Tesla software functionality in a hart beat.

Note: I add extra $200 if you are getting Tesla hitch after your purchase.

It's confirmed that Tesla pretty much uses either the draw-tite hitch or something just like it.
Someone on FB posted pics of the Tesla Ranger installing the hitch at his house which he purchased as part of his delivery.

I ordered the factory hitch as I wanted everything covered by the warranty. I also wanted the trailer wiring and the software adjustments for if I tow. When I priced around here, the costs were similar to what you found. For me, the savings didn't justify the risk. Not saying there is a huge risk but one less thing to worry about to maybe save a few hundred on a 60k car.
Same for me!

Side note --- I have seen in other treads comments about 'add-on' and why spend 50-70K on a car then, they trying to 'save' on items like this -- but to each is their own :)
I'm only using a bike rack and got the OEM hitch. I figured it's easier to pay for it a little every month and not worry about an aftermarket hitch replacing the aluminum crash bar and wondering whether I've compromised the safety of the car in a rear-end collision. I bought the Kuat Transfer V2 2-bike rack and it fits perfectly and is easy to install and remove.

@DayTrippin The video with the mods to the hitch cover was done by Living Tesla on YT. I did it, works great and looks stock.

I know more about this than I cared to lol.

I researched all the options for hitches/harness for my 2020 MYP. I bought my car used so the only OEM option for me would be to use the alpharetta GA service center, who is a bit douchey and holy-er than thou, and I hate to deal with them if I dont need to. The cost for OEM would of been $1350 with tax and the lead time would of been whenever the hell they felt like it.

So I researched Eco hitch, which I really like since it keeps the OEM crashbar/tow eye, but its also the most expensive aftermarket option, and not readily available. But .. its also the heaviest since it retains the 20# crashbar while adding a 40# receiver. You dont need a tow eye once a hitch receiver is installed, either. But I still do like the added crash protection of that big aluminum crash bar.

Note the OEM Tesla hitch receiver ALSO REMOVES THE CRASH BAR, so its no better than the drawtite in that regard !

Then there is the drawtite. Uhaul and Etrailer both sell it (Uhaul just slaps their ugly stickers on it) but both are the exact same hitch. If you point out to Etrailer that the Uhaul site actually sells it for $225, then etrailer will beat Uhaul by 10%, more so you pay even less and its in stock/readily available. Awesome install vid on Uhaul site, too. Note that both Uhaul/Etrailer say its ONLY for 2021 not for 2020 Y but they are wrong, Ive got a 2020 and it fits just fine (also NOTHING has changed on Model Y back there so this is total nonsense). I went with the drawtite from Etrailer, and this receiver is massive and heavy. Its probably the strongest thing on the car.

Installation isnt hard at all, you are silly for not just doing this yourself as it wont take even 2 hours. The body assy on the Tesla is really crappy, lots of push pins and such, you can peel the whole body of the back end of the car apart with a flat head and socket wrench in 10 minutes, so this is not like working on a very well put together German vehicle. Tesla has done the absolute bare minimum to keep the body panels from flying off with their 1,000 plastic push pins. This would be a good exercise for all the Tesla fanboys on there who think the car is well built. The body is not assembled very well at all (hence all the crazy gap problems you hear about)

As for wire harness - I know you said you would only use a bike rack and not likely tow but you would be crazy not to also install the wire harness anyway. You never know when you may need to tow a small trailer and now you would have that option (plus resale). The harness is $100, plug/play into the tail lights, the ground wire screws into existing ground location behind driver side tail light, and for power you could run it up to the 12v front battery but honestly why would you do that when the 12v DC outlet is right there. Just splice into the positive wire for that on the driver side rear trunk area. Trailer lights draw 0.4 amps with all going (and 0.004 amps with no lights on) so the circuit there is more than enough to power trailer lights while also powering other moderate accessories on the same outlet.

Benefit - you save a bunch of $. Sell off the OEM crash bar for $250 and this whole thing has cost $100 plus 2 hrs labor vs $1350 + hassle of dealing with Tesla on it. You also retain the use of FSD while towing a trailer which you lose if Tesla does the install and loads in the Tow Mode software. If you dont feel like its safe enough to use FSD while towing a small trailer, great, dont. But it allows the rest of us higher functioning people at least that option. Some of us tow small trailers on rural country highways and using a $10K option is preferred in safe circumstances... I'll be the 1 who makes that choice thanks.

Cons - 2 hours of your time. No tow mode software which means it will beep ONLY while backing up and will show a small yellow line along the rear bumper on the screen while driving forward. Not many cons to save $1250 right ? This 1 was a no brainer folks.

Last edited:
Reactions: N2B8