Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow mode problem-will not charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
Tesla s (damaged) car will not come out of Tow mode-

Option is on the screen -controls -settings- e brake-, but is not highlighted for selection.

Second road going Tesla s used.
Placed into tow mode-
Result. will not charge- charge port saftey lug perminently down (charge flap over ridden, drop peg inside charge port also overidden via boot lever- will not charge.

Good Tesla-taken out of Tow mode-charges.
How do i get the Tow mode off on the damaged Tesla....IT WILL NOT ALLOW selection via touch screen.park brake is off,hence cannot select Tow mode.
Tesla as per have little to say....take to service ....service are not interested ,as the car is unsuported due to damage.
Pete

I'm very surprised Tesla is not providing assistance. You say the car is unsupported due to damage...does this mean your damaged car is actually a salvaged car that has been written off as a total loss? If that is the case, I could understand why Tesla doesn't support it. If this is the case, you are going to have to do some troubleshooting or hire someone to do so. It sounds as if some of the damage somewhere is preventing the car from exiting tow mode, but you'd need to figure out what things prevent the car from exiting tow mode (if it is some sort of physical interlock) or if it is an issue with corrupted software or damage to the computer causing the issue. Certainly wish you good luck, but it's hard to offer detailed assistance without further details from you.

why could you understand?

Tesla would have repaired this car had the insuranc enot had the expense of an hire car for up to 3 months....its all about £££$$$- the salvage tag is not the actual problem-Teslas infastructure is such that it doe snot have its own repairers,only approved bodys shops.
These are unindated with a back log of repairs...so bin any repairs to loss Teslas as they take too long= backlog.
They did offer access to their tech suport site at £20 per hour or £2,300 per year.
ONWARD with the problem......

I notice today for any techys out there that the longest earth wire (connects to the jump start area) is carrying a voltage.
Loom is totally intact.
I could release the tow mode manually, but intend to address the fault direct.

Doesn't seem like it is Tesla's fault at all. You bought a salvage car. That means it has been written off as junk, effectively it is no longer on the books as a car. Now you are trying to fix it. The are offering to let you access the technical data for a fee (just like anyone else). As you say, they don't own repair shops...so you are looking to get it repaired at a third party repair shop which is fully booked up and doesn't appear to be interested in taking on the work to repair a salvage car. That is an issue between you and the repair shop, has nothing to do with Tesla. You knowingly are trying to repair a salvage car that has been written off by the insurance company. That's between you and your insurance company, again nothing to do with Tesla.

Drklain.

I am unsure what you understanding of insurance loss is.i guess its limited.
I have repaired many high end cars over the last 30 years.straight to dealer for parts & info.

Insurance loss in the U.K is catagorised

Cat B = break for parts -80% car value, parts/labour-cannot be returned to road (could be an old car with scratches dents to all panels
Cat C 60% cars value is repairs/LABOUR.
Cat D (my Tesla) is 40% cars value is repairs/Labour.
Factor the hire car in & lawyers-original owner not prepeired to wait up to 3 months -as was this case ( £650 p/w hire- simpler to write the car off & sell as a REPIARABLE CAR with a good title of ownership.
Now- remove the extortionate labour costs of any body shop & price of new parts -the insurance company would use = worth while project.

Tesla approved body shops
They will not sell the restricted parts- so forget 3rd party bodyshops,as they cannot buy them either.I have NOT aproached a 3rd party repair shop.
I have aproached 2 Tesla aproved shops WHO ARE NOT WANTING THE WORK.Clearly busy enough.So it has everything to do with Tesla
So no parts or Tesla input = no getting re supported at this stage.second hand legs will be sourced.
Vintage cars are frequently restored (new floor pans etc etc) there is NO difference only the $ element.

People repairing 'problem cars' enrich any forum with their findings saving other forum members $ as they do not bring storys of how shiney their car is or tales of new speakers.

Hopefully this has enlightened you.

P.s Many thanks LoL Rick
Pete www.yorkshirefigaros.com

Hi Bernard- DO NOT BOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You will get NO help what so ever fromTesla- they will sell you Nothing & tell you nothing (not even a 12v gel battery),the same applys in America,that is why so so many are being broken for parts.They (or there aproved body shops) do not want to get involved either...go for another hi spec car......the dealers will fall over them selves to sell you parts.