Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing Casita Trailer with a MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've towed a 18ft Seadoo Switch that weighs about 2500 lbs and has a horrific wind profile. The car barely knows it's back there.
But it decreased my range down to about 70 miles. Yes, that's not a typo. But I took it from Atlanta to Tampa and back, just required some extra charging.

Be careful on the weight capacity though. The Casitas look to be about 2500 lbs dry weight which should be within limit, but that's the dry weight. Fill the water tank and some blackwater and that could easily be 300 lbs. Add luggage and kitchen stuff, and that's also getting you closer to the Model Y limit.

Don't get into the situation where I read about recently where someone in a Dodge Ram 3500 looked at the towing capacity and the trailer weight and things were well in limit, but then as he was hauling the trailer, the rear axle broke.

Upvote 0
I'm interested in towing a Casita trailer with my '21 MY. Has anyone done this a be willing to share their experiences with me?

Bob
We will be towing a 17' Boler with our upcoming Model Y LR. It's about 2500lbs. I'll let you know how it goes. First trip will be in June. We will keep it close to home at first and then expand from there. Where I live, the CCS adapter is important because there are actually a lot more CCS chargers than Tesla chargers.

Upvote 0
We will be towing a 17' Boler with our upcoming Model Y LR. It's about 2500lbs. I'll let you know how it goes. First trip will be in June. We will keep it close to home at first and then expand from there. Where I live, the CCS adapter is important because there are actually a lot more CCS chargers than Tesla chargers.
Thank you. I'd appreciate the feed back on the your towing. Is the Boler 2500 LB dry or VGW? A Casita runs around 2500 dry but can be up to 3500 loaded. I just ordered a CCS adapter and have never used a non-Tesla charger. I would really appreciate a few tips to smooth the learning curve?

Upvote 0
Thank you. I'd appreciate the feed back on the your towing. Is the Boler 2500 LB dry or VGW? A Casita runs around 2500 dry but can be up to 3500 loaded. I just ordered a CCS adapter and have never used a non-Tesla charger. I would really appreciate a few tips to smooth the learning curve?
We bought the Boler prior to having a vehicle that could tow it.😂
It weighs 2500 lbs dry.
Since I don't have my Tesla yet, I can't provide any tips for charging, other than check out PlugShare and A Better Route Planner apps. You can toggle the different networks to see where the chargers are.

Upvote 0
As with ANY camper, for first trip, go somewhere close to home. Watch the Energy Graph for the utilization and that will start to tell you your range pretty quickly. Before you hitch the camper, look at the energy graph and see what your average usage is and use that to compare to what you get when towing.
If you are seeing it increase from ~250 to ~1000 wh/mi, then you can guess what your range is going to be.

Upvote 0