Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing with a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tow a 5000, 23 boat with our 75D. On the interstate at 65mph average use is 650-700 WHPM. It is using over twice the energy, takes about 140 miles of range to go 60 miles. I can slow down to 55, helps considerably. The boat creates a significant amount of drag so if you were pulling the same wait with less drag I believe it could do better. Just my experience....and with limited pull in superchargers it is very challenging, have to disconnect to charge.

I tow a 5000, 23 boat with our 75D. On the interstate at 65mph average use is 650-700 WHPM. It is using over twice the energy, takes about 140 miles of range to go 60 miles. I can slow down to 55, helps considerably. The boat creates a significant amount of drag so if you were pulling the same wait with less drag I believe it could do better. Just my experience....and with limited pull in superchargers it is very challenging, have to disconnect to charge.
Not surprised that towing at 65mph would reduce range by that much; many people have reported similar numbers.

I find it takes just 2-3 minutes to unhitch and then hitch up after Supercharging.

E7B7881C-B383-4C43-AFF0-E5FC7ED0C3EB.jpeg
5F255022-D432-4C0A-B922-65372EC6DB72.jpeg
I’ve been towing my seadoo wake pro 215 on a single trailer with model X during the whole summer of 2020, about 50km to the lake and 50 km back. The towing with Turbine wheels 22’ is amazing, no stress to Tesla at all, acceleration is just amazing, braking is no problem. Battery range 325kw usage or about double the range from normal driving. Launching isn’t a problem, I dip the rear wheels in the water about to the rim and try to keep the vehicle as dry as possible. Everyone around is just freezes when I show up at the public launch to see Tesla towing and launching with falcon doors open sometimes.

Reactions: jboy210
Not surprised that towing at 65mph would reduce range by that much; many people have reported similar numbers.

I find it takes just 2-3 minutes to unhitch and then hitch up after Supercharging.

Challenge is parking the boat at a convenience store that usually is very high traffic. Last time it was pouring when we arrived at the charger. I believe when Cybertrucks begin towing you may see more of the frustration.

Challenge is parking the boat at a convenience store that usually is very high traffic. Last time it was pouring when we arrived at the charger. I believe when Cybertrucks begin towing you may see more of the frustration.

They need to make Superchargers with pull-through like in Norway. Since there are few pickups, a lot of people have trailers for going to the equivalent of Home Depot or Ikea. See how you can pull through, even if you have a big trailer (outside lane).

tesla-supercharger-in-nebbenes-norway-source-bjorn-nyland.jpg

Credit: Bjorn Nyland

FWIW, Elon has said they are are going to do something at Superchargers to better fit CyberTrucks.

I have a 6x10 foot enclosed utility trailer weighing about 3,400 pounds when loaded I tow around. The performance with my and handling with my 75D are amazing, even over mountain passes. The killer is energy use. Not uncommon for me to see 600-1,200 wh/mi when driving between 60 and 70 mph, especially on the hills. I did a pair of tow tests with the trailer full then empty travelling the same 90 mile route and only had a 5% difference in arrival SoC so I'm confident the drag is the killer, not the weight.

Overall I'm not yet a fan of towing with the X only because of the limited range and the poor supercharger design requiring unhitching nearly every time. Once the X, or cybertruck, are out with 500 miles native I think it will be much less of an issue with 250 miles towing range. Better charging options would be icing on that cake.

Hello all,
In case anyone is curious how towing with a Tesla Model X works, I made a video of my experience towing a Mini Cooper about 300 miles in my model X.

Towing a car with a Tesla - Pulled Over Twice by Police
Nice Video, you should contact U-Haul for them to compensate you on the trouble you’ve got to with this multinationals wires. It is also said on their trailers fenders you’re allowed to go up to 55Mph with their trailer, which could be translated as you can go on a FreeWays, unless each State has its own rule and it’s also your responsibility to be aware of.
Good luck friend.
More videos coming up soon..