Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing Without a Hitch: How To?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to use our MX (14393) to help a friend tow maybe a 3,000 lb. boat trailer a short distance--probably only a few hundred yards--around a boat yard to a safer location in case of a hurricane. My partner won't let me install the trailer hitch because she's afraid I'll want to go out in snow storms looking for tractor-trailers to tow (up hill). So I'm asking for a safe very low speed DIY alternative that would allow me to tow this boat a ways. Any thoughts?

Well, as mentioned in my original query, the goal is just to move the
boat trailer a short distance--probably only a few hundred yards--around a boat yard
I'm just a dumb Southerner, as our President would say, but my guess is that it's more likely to be illegal to drag tin cans down a public thoroughfare than it would be to pull that trailer around in a boat yard on private property.
In any case, congratulations on your Roadster, and for taking the time to reply to me.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
Well, I guess we're living in different worlds, my friend. My life partner takes great interest in any activities of mine which she feels might bring me harm. In addition to the trailer hitch, another example is that she won't "let" me drive more than 14mph over the posted limit (when she's in the vehicle, anyway). I see these positions of hers as signs that she cares about my wellbeing and they are welcome.

Thanks for your input. On the other hand, it would be great if anyone has any actual actionable practical advice concerning my request for help.

Well, I guess we're living in different worlds, my friend. My life partner takes great interest in any activities of mine which she feels might bring me harm. In addition to the trailer hitch, another example is that she won't "let" me drive more than 14mph over the posted limit (when she's in the vehicle, anyway). I see these positions of hers as signs that she cares about my wellbeing and they are welcome.

Thanks for your input. On the other hand, it would be great if anyone has any actual actionable practical advice concerning my request for help.

They used to make temporary hitches that clamped onto the bumper -- but that was back when they made bumpers. :p

I'm not aware of any way to haul that much weight even a little ways with a MX, and I wouldn't recommend it if there was. Uhaul rents trucks for $20 a day, and they allow towing with them (which car rental places do not). Lots of boat repair places use a lawn tractor with a hitch to move boats around. Or borrow a truck.

How about a compromise. Install a hitch. Agree not to install the wiring harnesses. Then you can only use in on “private” property. I already have a hitch in my Model 3, but am trying to wait until Tesla comes up with a harness for the Model 3. My wife would not let me put a hitch on her S

John

My partner won't let me install the trailer hitch because she's afraid I'll want to go out in snow storms looking for tractor-trailers to tow (up hill).

Another option. Have the SC install the OEM hitch (or buy one and install yourself). Go tow your friend's boat.

Afterward disconnect the removable portion of the hitch (Bosal receiver). Give it to your partner for "safe keeping" and explain to her that without this part you cannot use the vehicle for towing. That way you can only tow with her permission and blessing!

P.S. Don't tell her that you bought a second Bosal receiver....

They used to make temporary hitches that clamped onto the bumper -- but that was back when they made bumpers. :p

I'm not aware of any way to haul that much weight even a little ways with a MX, and I wouldn't recommend it if there was. Uhaul rents trucks for $20 a day, and they allow towing with them (which car rental places do not). Lots of boat repair places use a lawn tractor with a hitch to move boats around. Or borrow a truck.

And again, thanks, BerTX, for addressing my actual question. I'm convinced that I had a bad idea. A quick call down to the marina should determine whether or not they will be able to move the boat trailer. If not, we'll take my friend's SUV which is equipped with a hitch. We were just looking for a way to make the drive down to the coast in the MX if it turned out that it could safely tow the boat. After two years in the MX I guess I'm getting spoiled: nowadays I prefer to take all possible road-trips in it.

The most interesting feature of this whole thing (other than the off-topic replies) is that the trip is even possible, i.e., that there are enough Supercharger locations in rural eastern North Carolina in operation today to allow this journey to be considered.

How about a compromise. Install a hitch. Agree not to install the wiring harnesses. Then you can only use in on “private” property. I already have a hitch in my Model 3, but am trying to wait until Tesla comes up with a harness for the Model 3. My wife would not let me put a hitch on her S

John
Now, you're talking, John. This is the kind of a little outside the box creative problem-solving I expected to receive from my fellow owners. Glad to know I'm not the only man to take his partner's wishes into consideration.

Another option. Have the SC install the OEM hitch (or buy one and install yourself). Go tow your friend's boat.

Afterward disconnect the removable portion of the hitch (Bosal receiver). Give it to your partner for "safe keeping" and explain to her that without this part you cannot use the vehicle for towing. That way you can only tow with her permission and blessing!

P.S. Don't tell her that you bought a second Bosal receiver....

I love this option, idoco. The hurricane would arrive probably Wednesday afternoon and I doubt our local SC could have the OEM hitch attached before then. But, this is still a great idea; I'll give it a try before the snowfall and tractor-trailer towing season begins here.

Reactions: Kacey Green
I love this option, idoco. The hurricane would arrive probably Wednesday afternoon and I doubt our local SC could have the OEM hitch attached before then. But, this is still a great idea; I'll give it a try before the snowfall and tractor-trailer towing season begins here.

Trailer hitch has been out of stock for some time now ...as a matter of fact Tesla still owes me one from my pickup earlier this year :(... since hitch is mainly unseen unless u attach bosal receiver as was noted above ..you can have installed and use as needed ..since the tow package also has a software mode I don’t recommend using any “homemade” method as the car actually reacts differently ..there is another thread somewhere on forum where a member actually explained some of the differences in car behavior ...good luck and safe driving !

Consider "Roadie," an App that lets you find drivers -- and you can specify that you want a tow for a few hundred yards -- who will come move what you want moved. You largely set your price and, if someone wants to help you out, they offer to do the job. It's Uber for things. And it works well.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
It is an extremely bad idea. If you insist on doing it, the only way to get it to go without pulling apart you car would be to use standard towing points.

Your car came with a toy eye hook, screw that in and hook the strap to that. But that would only get you a short distance as the hook screws into the front. So you’d have to use the control arms. Page 194 of the owners manual details these towing points.
Tesla

Neither is intended to do what you’re trying to do, is not safe, and not recommended. But if one is hell bent on towing without a tow hitch then those are you best bet.

I’ll reinforce; I do not recommend you do this. You can still damage your control arms. Not to mention; you’d need to think about stopping the boat now to prevent it from slamming into the back of the X at a stop.

.since the tow package also has a software mode I don’t recommend using any “homemade” method as the car actually reacts differently ..there is another thread somewhere on forum where a member actually explained some of the differences in car behavior ...good luck and safe driving !

That would be me and my $500 repair bill for towing a 1000lb trailer with the factory hitch, without the factory software enabled resulting in damage to the rear body controller

Reactions: ecarfan and P85_DA