Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toyota not sure if people really want plug-in cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check it. . .

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=aorH8Hf_3gHU

"We can develop the best technology cars in the world, but society has to be ready to use them,'' Reinert said. "We're going to see that real soon with plug-in vehicles.''

Remember, Toyota advertised their cars with the boast that, "You never have to plug it in." From their standpoint, plug-in cars are a fate their wonderful Prius saved us all from.

Thanks for posting this Tony.

Although the concern is over possible confusion between HEVs and PHEVs, there are some possible implications for Whitestar.

"It's a Hybrid, why am I paying more?" could become a common question. And unless there are some significant differences in terms of average mileage figures between these Hybrids, that could translate into "Plugging In is pointless". Gas prices may help here.

Tesla should be okay since the media evidence we have to date suggests that reporters shouldn't confuse the Roadster and Whitestar with plug-in hybrids, but this announcement is a timely reminder that, like the Roadster, Whitestar has to be a head-turner without recourse to confusing EV-speak.

I think the argument is a straw man. If the Prius -- more expensive than its nearest all-gasoline competitor, and without any more luxe -- can succeed, then there must be some factor driving sales beyond cost and luxury. I believe the factor is a growing sense of environmental responsibility, which a plug-in Prius should be able to exploit further.