Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS and After-Market Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for those forum members who have installed after-market wheels... how long did it take your Tesla to recognize the new TPMS? I recently had a wheel and tire package (including sensors) from a highly regarded company installed on my Model 3. The car did not recognize the new TPMS after approximately 20 miles of mostly city driving and I ultimately asked the shop -- which is associated with the wheel company -- that mounted the new wheels and tires to reinstall the factory originals. I have since spoken with the company president who explained that it has never taken a Tesla more than 50 miles to synch with the TPMS sensor from one of his wheels. While he has offered me a full refund, he has also encouraged me to put the after-market wheels back on the car... though he is unwilling to offer me a written TPMS related guarantee. One interesting note is that the company's lead tech -- who did the original installation -- told me that he has never had to utilized the TPMS Reset option on the Model 3 touchscreen.

Find out what sensors were used. I just went through this with Discount Tire....turns out they used the wrong sensors the first time. They replaced with a different model and it worked.

New aftermarket TPMS won't read...how to fix?

To answer your original question, it takes maybe 2 miles driving OVER 15 MPH for my car to pick up the changes. Not so sure stop and go traffic gives enough time over that speed, depends on your city driving. Mine didn't pick up on surface streets on the way to the freeway, but did pick up very quickly after getting on the freeway.

Last edited: