Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS compatibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks,

I'm looking at buying a set of 14' MS 21" Turbine wheels and I'm wondering about the compatibility of the TPMS.
The seller said they upgraded to MCU2 and had to buy new TPMS sensors.
So if I buy their 21" turbines, will the sensors be recognized by my '15 MS MCU1 ?

MCU upgrade has nothing to do with the TPMS sensors/system. I have upgraded MCU 2 on my 2014 and it works fine with the original Baolong TPMS (the one with no PSI display). The later Continental TPMS system displays individual tire pressures and was retrofit (RATHER DUBIOUSLY) to many early Model S.

The question you need to ask is if the seller saw PSI display or not and if YOU have the PSI display or not. As long as you match either way, you're good.

Reactions: ChooseFreedom
MCU upgrade has nothing to do with the TPMS sensors/system. I have upgraded MCU 2 on my 2014 and it works fine with the original Baolong TPMS (the one with no PSI display). The later Continental TPMS system displays individual tire pressures and was retrofit (RATHER DUBIOUSLY) to many early Model S.

The question you need to ask is if the seller saw PSI display or not and if YOU have the PSI display or not. As long as you match either way, you're good.
Hjacking this a bit... I have a 2014 P85 with the old TPMS system and newer Tesla 21" Arachnids with the newer TPMS on there. The Service Center long ago told me that the old/new were incompatible and I get a nag message everytime I drive. Is there an aftermarket solution to this? Any suggestions or advice are greatly apprecaited.

Hjacking this a bit... I have a 2014 P85 with the old TPMS system and newer Tesla 21" Arachnids with the newer TPMS on there. The Service Center long ago told me that the old/new were incompatible and I get a nag message everytime I drive. Is there an aftermarket solution to this? Any suggestions or advice are greatly apprecaited.

Installl aftermarket Baolong-compatible TPMS sensors. That's the only non-Tesla way to eliminate the nag at lower cost.

Reactions: Bizarrkley_2
Thank you so much. Any chance you have a link to purchase them?

None that I can personally vouch for -- I had a few on Amazon that I was eyeballing but my local tire shop had a set that was cheaper, so I purchased through them with the tires. I'm not sure what they are, but they're generic and works fine with some minor limitations -- as explained at about 8 minutes in:

Reactions: Bizarrkley_2