Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS Fault after Firmware Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car: Aug 2016, AP1 MX; Software: 2019.32.12.3 1b89dd1

A forum search showed some MS owners having problems with the car not recognizing TPMS sensors of new tires, but my issue is a little different.

Immediately after the update to 2019.32.12.3, I get a continuous "Tire Pressure Monitoring System Failure" warning on the instrument cluster. On some trips, only one sensor shows up with no reading, but on other trips, all four sensors show no reading. The timing of the firmware update, plus the failed readings on multiple wheels leads me to believe these are related. These are the original TPMS sensors that came with the car and have been working fine until last week. The warning message is not a low pressure warning, and at 44 psi, all tires are above the 42 psi spec.

I will have my SC look at this next month when I go in for my 50,000 mile maintenance. But, I wanted to ask the forum group if anyone else is seeing this, or is this a specific problem with my car, and unrelated to the firmware update?

Thanks.

Hi Solarman004,

At 50,000 miles and only a few years, it probably is software...
But if you are unlucky it could be the batteries croaking prematurely in the TPMS sensors...
If you have a friendly tire shop they can read your tires with their TPMS tool just to see
that they are working...
It might be a relief to know they are working before your service appointment...

Your choice,

Shawn (the TPMS guy)

Hi Solarman004,

At 50,000 miles and only a few years, it probably is software...
But if you are unlucky it could be the batteries croaking prematurely in the TPMS sensors...
If you have a friendly tire shop they can read your tires with their TPMS tool just to see
that they are working...
It might be a relief to know they are working before your service appointment...

Your choice,

Shawn (the TPMS guy)

Shawn, it turned out to be one bad sensor which I had replaced by Discount Tire (only $60).
What threw me off was that the one bad sensor was causing a 20 minute delay before the other 3 tires would show a pressure reading. So until I made a few longer highway drives, I thought I was getting no readings from any tire.