Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this has been answered. 13' MS, I keep getting warning on the dash. Check psi and everything seems ok. I recently changed to 20" from stock. Anyone buy after market sensors to replace OEM? Did you get them installed at a shop not the SC?
Thanks

My TPMS didnt work for 6 months. Software update screwed up car. I kept sending emails to service @Tesla.com.
I have a mix of senors. The Service center guy lied to me and said only Tesla senors would fix it. Pure bs. There are old ones with different mhz. I forgot numbers, but all new senors work. I switch wheel/tire sets in April and October, different senors. Push TPMS RESET, and it is fine.

you don't need OEM. you need to know if you have the original TPMS system (gen1) or gen2. Gen2 allows for individual psi readings to be continuously displayed on the IC display.
Sounds like you have gen1 (?).. make sure that the system is working and the problem is the sensor(s)... Considering you just changed tires/wheels, that is the likely situation.
There is an issue with resetting the TPMS on gen1 systems.. I upgraded to gen2, so can't speak to that issue (the tpms reset button was removed/forgotten at one point, and folks are kind of SOL now, except for going in to the service center.)

these should work fine for gen1 https://www.amazon.com/MOBILETRON-M...----&vehicleName=2012+Tesla+S#customerReviews

and I can vouch for these for gen 2: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0768S4SXR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you don't need OEM. you need to know if you have the original TPMS system (gen1) or gen2. Gen2 allows for individual psi readings to be continuously displayed on the IC display.
Sounds like you have gen1 (?).. make sure that the system is working and the problem is the sensor(s)... Considering you just changed tires/wheels, that is the likely situation.
There is an issue with resetting the TPMS on gen1 systems.. I upgraded to gen2, so can't speak to that issue (the tpms reset button was removed/forgotten at one point, and folks are kind of SOL now, except for going in to the service center.)

these should work fine for gen1 https://www.amazon.com/MOBILETRON-M...----&vehicleName=2012+Tesla+S#customerReviews

and I can vouch for these for gen 2: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0768S4SXR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Do you know if the TPMS are 433 or 315mhz? Should these automatically recognize the new TPMS once I do the manual reset on the MCU?
Thanks

I bought my used 2013 S85 17 months ago with a 2yr/40K mile warranty. TPMS error popped up 9 months/30K miles later. I made an appointment with my local Service Center to have them check it out, as well as produce an extra key fob. Do you think the TPMS sensor is covered under warranty? I'll have them check it out just in case the issue is more than just the sensor...otherwise I'd just go to my local America's Tire shop.

Tpms would be a Karma item. They finally told me the TPMS sill recognize all transmitters u put in the tires. The new system , $3k, gives tire pressure. They asked if I wanted the new system? No, not for 3k.
The software updates r killing my antique. Last week they removed the USB option from music selection. They denied it.

I bought my used 2013 S85 17 months ago with a 2yr/40K mile warranty. TPMS error popped up 9 months/30K miles later. I made an appointment with my local Service Center to have them check it out, as well as produce an extra key fob. Do you think the TPMS sensor is covered under warranty? I'll have them check it out just in case the issue is more than just the sensor...otherwise I'd just go to my local America's Tire shop.

UPDATE:

They replaced the TPMS with the newer Continental system that measures individual tire pressure free under warranty. Also bought an extra key fob for $170. Best of all, I dropped the car off at 7:30am and jogged home...car was ready at 10am the same day!

From my experience I would say yes the system is covered under warranty except for normal wear and tear of the TPMS sensors/batteries. I think it's safe to assume the sensor/batteries have a 5yr/60K miles lifespan and the receiver module should last as long as a car stereo.
Im going in tomorrow but the service person said its not covered so i need to ask in person and see what they say