Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning to sell my 2014 MS and have ignored the TPMS warning for years - I know how to check my tire pressure and add air. How did we ever live without these nuisance devices?? I got a quote from my nearest SC for $640 to replace them so I'm in sticker shock. I've read threads about after market parts but don't know who will do the work and for how much. Do tire centers install them if a customer brings them in? Might not be much of a savings even so. Any suggestions on lower price way to replace these things?

I'm planning to sell my 2014 MS and have ignored the TPMS warning for years - I know how to check my tire pressure and add air. How did we ever live without these nuisance devices?? I got a quote from my nearest SC for $640 to replace them so I'm in sticker shock. I've read threads about after market parts but don't know who will do the work and for how much. Do tire centers install them if a customer brings them in? Might not be much of a savings even so. Any suggestions on lower price way to replace these things?

Parts are about $20 each. You might have a local tire shop like Pepboys do it for you.

Newer Bluetooth TPMS is more expensive but yours still uses cheaper traditional radio wave.

Thanks. I'll call pepboys but curious if you can recommend a specific part that costs $20 each.

$10.98 for 1, $31.09 for 4: Tyre Pressure Sensor For TESLA MODEL S MODEL X OEM original TPMS TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR SENSOR 1038978-00-B

1698379173292.png

You don't need to buy OEM with the Tesla icon stamped above. Any generic 433MHz TPMS is fine. Pepboys may have multi-wavelength 315MHz and 433MHz all-in-one TPMS that can work with multibrands and not just Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: bwilliams
@bwilliams - There was a change in the TPMS sensor which Tesla used starting in around Sept 2014, so I'd be certain that the ones your get at compatible if your 2014 MS is prior to that change over. Any easy way to tell is that prior to this change you only got a single low pressure alert versus after the change the system now had the ability to display all the individual pressures.

I'm suspicious that yours might as I know others have reported that Tesla would want to change the whole system over when people needed one of the original Baolong supplied TPMS. The price you were quoted sounds like this case, which then also includes changing the TPMS receiving unit in the car along with all four sensors.

Here's a link to a good reference thread on TMS. Look down to about the 4th entry. There's a very helpful post that will give you the approximate VIN for the switchover date plus the original supplier part number references.

How to find the tire pressure reading on a 2014 Model S 60

I'd be cautious about the guidance that any generic 433MHz TPMS will work. I'm not sure that's correct if your 2014 MS is before that changeover date from the Baolong sensor to the Continental supplies TPMS.

@bwilliams - There was a change in the TPMS sensor which Tesla used starting in around Sept 2014, so I'd be certain that the ones your get at compatible if your 2014 MS is prior to that change over. Any easy way to tell is that prior to this change you only got a single low pressure alert versus after the change the system now had the ability to display all the individual pressures.

I'm suspicious that yours might as I know others have reported that Tesla would want to change the whole system over when people needed one of the original Baolong supplied TPMS. The price you were quoted sounds like this case, which then also includes changing the TPMS receiving unit in the car along with all four sensors.

Here's a link to a good reference thread on TMS. Look down to about the 4th entry. There's a very helpful post that will give you the approximate VIN for the switchover date plus the original supplier part number references.

How to find the tire pressure reading on a 2014 Model S 60

I'd be cautious about the guidance that any generic 433MHz TPMS will work. I'm not sure that's correct if your 2014 MS is before that changeover date from the Baolong sensor to the Continental supplies TPMS.
I use the Autel sensors and my programmer has a different setting for the pre 2015 cars. The Autel sensors should work but will need to be programmed for the correct year.

Don't bother researching or buying parts yourself. Go to a local trusted tired shop (Discount Tire, Big O, et al) and get a quote. Let the experts select the proper parts for your vehicle. Yes, it's dead simple and there's literally only 3 parts it could be across every Tesla ever made (2 in your case) but I've seen this messed up far too many times and based on what you've said if highly suggest letting the experts handle it.

Even a member here (T-Man) sold me TPMS he claimed were the ones I needed but sent me the wrong ones and never made it right. Go to a tire shop, get a quote for replacement and then ask them to price match the TPMS cost with the lowest price online. They won't bat an eyelash as they change the price to save you money. They'll replace them then and there and you'll be done.

TBH it's a great feature and the only reason it's been a nuisance is your procrastination in replacing them. It was probably only one TPMS when it first happened and woulda cost next to nothing to have your car working properly again. But now, who knows? Might be the module itself has gone bad & you need a new one (great time to upgrade to the gen 2 system if yours is still gen 1... Probably what Tesla quoted you) and it may truly be hundreds of dollars to fix now.

Tire shop will always be cheaper for this and uses parts from the same manufacturers that Tesla sources.