Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS reset learning failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently put rotary-forged TWS wheels with original rubber on (relegating the Aeros to winter driving) and twice the TPMS reset learning failed. I contacted Tesla and a tech said, “I think it's specifically the sensors inside of the wheels - they may not be compatible with our vehicle's TPMS. Let us know if you do not have any luck with the manufacturer.” I sent an email to the sales person I had at WheelMax but no response, likely due to the health crisis/business shutdowns. The sensors WM sent are these, which I was also told were programmed for Model 3.

Any advice, suggestions?

unnamed.jpg

I recently put rotary-forged TWS wheels with original rubber on (relegating the Aeros to winter driving) and twice the TPMS reset learning failed. I contacted Tesla and a tech said, “I think it's specifically the sensors inside of the wheels - they may not be compatible with our vehicle's TPMS. Let us know if you do not have any luck with the manufacturer.” I sent an email to the sales person I had at WheelMax but no response, likely due to the health crisis/business shutdowns. The sensors WM sent are these, which I was also told were programmed for Model 3.

Any advice, suggestions?

View attachment 529319

Probably not programed or programmed correctly.

I always buy the non programable ones, like the ones that come with the car. Not worth the headache.

Most tire shops can probably program them.

I had my winter tires reinstalled. They are on their own rims, with generic TPMS. I used them last winter and they were stored in a garage.
I installed them and did a reset of the TPMS in the service screen, asrequired. After driving for 20-30 minutes, I had a message about TPMS failure. One TPMS was not working, the other 3 were OK.
I suspected an antenna problem, but on the Model 3, there are 2 antennas, front and rear. So, the antenna was working for one TPMS.

I searched andf found the solution. It seems that the TPMS was sort of stuck. So, you remove most of the air from the tire, down to 10 psi, and wait 10-20 minutes. Reinflate to the normal pressure, reset the TPMS from the screen, drive for about 10 minutes at 25-50 km/hr and that,s it. It works. No need to replace the failed TPMS.