Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS reset on V10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think people with Gen1 can have the sensors learned without having the button. Probably Tesla will never bring back the button, so we will have the TPMS message for the rest of our lives if we don't visit the service centre everytime we switch wheels :-(

Here in Holland calling Tesla is virtually impossible, I have given up trying. You can only send emails, unfortunately they will NEVER reply.
The only thing that is possible is making a service appointment through the app//

I just went through this. Had issues with my TPMS. Really missed the simplicity of being able to just reset the TPMS as we could with V9.

Now, you have to change the wheel to get it reset. It requires a reboot. Kind of a pain. Used to be able to reset TPMS while driving. Now you have to be stopped. Change the wheel type. Let it reboot. Drive, so it picks up the sensors. Then do it all again to reset back to your original wheels, if you want the images to match your car.

Another user friendly feature Tesla has taken away.

I just went through this. Had issues with my TPMS. Really missed the simplicity of being able to just reset the TPMS as we could with V9.

Now, you have to change the wheel to get it reset. It requires a reboot. Kind of a pain. Used to be able to reset TPMS while driving. Now you have to be stopped. Change the wheel type. Let it reboot. Drive, so it picks up the sensors. Then do it all again to reset back to your original wheels, if you want the images to match your car.

This does not work for many of the older cars with generation 1 sensors. It has been tried several times with out success. I am guessing it works for the cars w/ generation 2 TPMS monitors (vin after 50500 or somewhere around that).

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Anyone figured out how to calibrate the TPMS now? My system reads 45 PSI inflation as only 42 PSI, which is inconvenient if I want to actually run 42 PSI as it will trigger low pressure alerts ...

Changing the wheel setting automatically reboots both computers on my 2012 Model S. It also turns off the Regen, Traction control and Stability control (all 3 messages cycle thru ). The car stays in this state until it is shut off ( I walk away with the key) and is restarted.( I re-enter the car)
The TPMS failed message never goes away. The tire shop says all sensors are fine and have power. Service call to TESLA is next.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Don't attribute malice if you can explain it with plain ignorance. It wasn't taken away, it was lost in the chaos. At the Starship reveal Elon recently stated that "best process is no process". Traditional manufacturers would have a process of documenting features, and when a new generation of software comes out, each feature either needs to be there, or functionality be replaced by a new feature. Each new version is probably written by a new group of web developers with their own ideas what software should be doing, nobody bothered doing any feature parity checks, old cars were probably never considered at all when v10 was being designed. It only looks similar due to code reuse. After v10 was done, someone was probably tasked with porting it to make sure it runs on an MCU1 car, not to make sure there is feature parity. Not the first time and not the last.

@Zapped. I had the same issue. Turns out I did originally have the wrong sensors. I tried resetting them 100 times hoping they would be read by the car. Finally gave up and ordered the correct sensors. Put them in. At first, same thing. Was about ready to drop the car off of a cliff after all I had been through with getting my wheels done. But, drove about 2 miles and FINALLY, they picked up the new sensors.

Point being, if it's not reading them, could be the wrong sensors. Probably the wrong sensors. If you have one of your stock wheels, try putting it on the car, even just one will answer the question. Drive for a couple of miles and see if it reads the old wheel. If it does, chances are, they gave you the wrong sensors. Unfortunately, it happens as did with my car. Everything is all good now.

@jdw, I noticed the same thing. Set my pressures to 48 psi and the car shows 44-45 psi. Was thinking maybe the tire gauge used to fill the tires was off, but now you have me thinking that maybe it's the sensors? I guess could just be coincidence, but certainly possible that the cheap air pressure gauges at a gas station or tire shop could be off on a regular basis. I have a professional gauge that is calibrated. Will have to bring it home and check it against those and report back.

@hemants, you probably already tried it, but unlike with the previous TPMS reset option that could be done while driving, to reset the wheels, because the car fully reboots, the car has to be stopped and in park for you to be able to change the wheel type and force the TPMS reset. I hope Tesla will correct this and return the simple option of just resetting the TPMS sensors again. Hopefully just an oversight rather than having to go through whole song and dance of changing wheel types for no reason.

Hope that helps. The above is based on my personal experience and what worked for me. Of course, every situation and scenario could be different.

@mcs, didn't think of the original version of TPMS's where they didn't actually show pressures. I had them on my 2013, but it's been a while, so can't offer any suggestions on that one. Best I can suggest is the same recommendation I had for @Zapped above. Be sure you have the correct sensors. I learned through this process, that most outside wheel shops and tire shops have no clue when it comes to a Tesla. I had to trial and error everything myself and then provide them with the details of how to do it.

Was sent the wrong sensors, wrong size valve stems that smacked the suspension, etc. Wasn't fun. After about a month and a half, finally everything is working as it should.