Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS reset on V10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't mind officially complaining about this issue to Tesla as it may have been an oversight for those of us w/ older cars and TPMS, but I am not sure where to aim the complaint. Any thoughts? I am already tired of seeing the constant TPMS malfunction warning on the dash.

interesting... in v8 the TPMS Reset button used to be in the Settings / Service & Reset screen.

I have v10 (2019.32.11.1) and I just checked, and yes it seems the reset button is gone now.
Will be doing my annual winter tire change soon (DIY), so it'd be nice to know what's happened to the reset...

but I'm wondering, maybe it disappeared back in v9? I did a quick search for the settings screens and found an electrek article with screenshots of all the settings in Tesla’s version 9 software - based on those photos the reset seems to be missing there in v9 too, I hadn't noticed this before...

Yes, I noticed the reset button had gone, but when I changed my rims over last week, the car picked up the new sensors and the usual pop up appeared (to reset)

Maybe selecting a different wheel design, then re-selecting the installed wheels would do it?

I've go a weird problem with a second set of wheels where the rear left pressure isn't being displayed and I get a TPMS error warning message. But if I swap the left rear wheel for another one, the fault doesn't move with the wheel, so it looks like the sensors are working.

If I put the factory wheels back on I get all 4 pressures up again no problem.

Anyone had anything like this? I've tried several resets and relearns, driving for long distances but can't solve it.

This week, we received a low pressure warning on all 4 tires of our 2017 MCU1 S 100D.

It had been a while since I had checked the tire pressure - and after the tires cooled down, found the tire pressure for all 4 tires was 36-37 PSI, much lower than the expected 45 PSI.

Refilled the tires to 45 PSI, and the low pressure warning went away after driving for a few miles.

The onboard manual states that the TPMS sensors should be reset after 10 minutes of driving and that the "newer" vehicles don't need an explicit TPMS reset.

So I think some people are confused between the generation 1 and 2 sensors. From my understanding the generation 2 monitor and sensors don't need any resetting, the system will do it automatically. With the generation 1 system (the one that doesn't even notify you of what pressure each tire is, just that there is a low pressure), you previously needed to reset the system and then drive for a few miles. Now it seems the reset button has disappeared and just driving more miles doesn't fix it. I also tried changing the selected wheel option and then changing back, but it didn't work for me either. This is frustrating as my guess is that the only way to fix it is to upgrade to the gen 2 monitor and sensors (8 in my case) or convince Tesla that they have made a mistake and need to add the button back. The only other thing I can think of is to take it to the service center w/ each swap out of winter and summer tires, but that is a PITA.

Having had a long problem with TPMS I can tell you that on my car with V10, changing the wheel type from 21 to 19 and then driving a short distance and the "TPMS RESET" message will pop up. Switch back to the original wheels and repeat the process. Clunky but necessary if the car doesn't recognize the sensors. I had significant issues with a second set of wheels/tires (purchased from a reward receiver) and ultimately used Autel dual-frequency sensors programmed to "clone" the original wheels/tires (same serial numbers). Works perfectly now when switching from one set to the other.

I am on V10 and still have the reset button although I believe the TPMS system is programmed slightly differently for Europe.

Having had a long problem with TPMS I can tell you that on my car with V10, changing the wheel type from 21 to 19 and then driving a short distance and the "TPMS RESET" message will pop up. Switch back to the original wheels and repeat the process. Clunky but necessary if the car doesn't recognize the sensors. I had significant issues with a second set of wheels/tires (purchased from a reward receiver) and ultimately used Autel dual-frequency sensors programmed to "clone" the original wheels/tires (same serial numbers). Works perfectly now when switching from one set to the other.

What sort of problems did you have and what sensors were in the wheels before you switched to Autel?

Rather long story, short version: purchased a set of referral wheels. They came with Gen 1 sensors but I didn't know that and installed them. Mobile service tried to fix and reprogrammed the car. Stil didn't work. I had them replaced with Autel sensors (local tire store), and bought a programming unit, still didn't work. Put original wheels/tires back on, they didn't work. Ultimately had to go to service center and they reprogrammed the car back to normal, apparently the mobile service guy changed something on the car which meant nothing would work. Two months of time wasted. Now both sets work perfectly.