TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

TPMS reset on V10

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Wratran, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Wratran

Wratran Member

I installed V10 software and cannot find where the TPMS reset located.

it could be software glitch where TPMS RESET is gone.

my car is 2015 with AP1

• Informative x 1
  2. mcs

mcs Member

I'm having the same problem. I swapped out summer tires for my winter ones and can no longer find the TPMS reset option. Not sure why it isn't available, I have used it many times. Anyone come up w a solution other than bring it to the dealer?

• Like x 1
  3. Dithermaster

Dithermaster Member

The newer TPMS sensors don't have a UI reset button (says the manual, if you search for TPMS and read a bunch, like I did when I got new tires and wanted to reset the TPMS but could not find a button).

4. one-ten

one-ten Member

My reset button is gone as well :-( . I have a new set of wheels, with new sensors, but now cannot reset them..

5. mcs

mcs Member

I wouldn't mind officially complaining about this issue to Tesla as it may have been an oversight for those of us w/ older cars and TPMS, but I am not sure where to aim the complaint. Any thoughts? I am already tired of seeing the constant TPMS malfunction warning on the dash.

6. f-stop

f-stop Active Member

interesting... in v8 the TPMS Reset button used to be in the Settings / Service & Reset screen.

I have v10 (2019.32.11.1) and I just checked, and yes it seems the reset button is gone now.
    Will be doing my annual winter tire change soon (DIY), so it'd be nice to know what's happened to the reset...

but I'm wondering, maybe it disappeared back in v9? I did a quick search for the settings screens and found an electrek article with screenshots of all the settings in Tesla’s version 9 software - based on those photos the reset seems to be missing there in v9 too, I hadn't noticed this before...

7. richrootes

richrootes Member

Yes, I noticed the reset button had gone, but when I changed my rims over last week, the car picked up the new sensors and the usual pop up appeared (to reset)

Maybe selecting a different wheel design, then re-selecting the installed wheels would do it?

8. one-ten

one-ten Member

I've tried different wheel designs and different sizes hoping it would do a reset, but it doesn't..

• Informative x 1
  9. Electric Dream

Electric Dream Pilots the Millennium Milkfloat

I've go a weird problem with a second set of wheels where the rear left pressure isn't being displayed and I get a TPMS error warning message. But if I swap the left rear wheel for another one, the fault doesn't move with the wheel, so it looks like the sensors are working.

If I put the factory wheels back on I get all 4 pressures up again no problem.

Anyone had anything like this? I've tried several resets and relearns, driving for long distances but can't solve it.

10. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

The car has to be driven to reset the TPMS sensors. Pushing the button in your garage never did anything useful.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  11. Barry

Barry Active Member

I got new tires about a month ago and was surprised when the TPMS reset on its own. I reset it manually, just to be sure, and the readings didn't change.

12. CRASHER

CRASHER Member

I am getting low pressure warning @ 44 PSI and cannot get rid of it.

13. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

This week, we received a low pressure warning on all 4 tires of our 2017 MCU1 S 100D.

It had been a while since I had checked the tire pressure - and after the tires cooled down, found the tire pressure for all 4 tires was 36-37 PSI, much lower than the expected 45 PSI.

Refilled the tires to 45 PSI, and the low pressure warning went away after driving for a few miles.

The onboard manual states that the TPMS sensors should be reset after 10 minutes of driving and that the "newer" vehicles don't need an explicit TPMS reset.

14. Wratran

Wratran Member

I get that too...but at 41psi

15. mcs

mcs Member

So I think some people are confused between the generation 1 and 2 sensors. From my understanding the generation 2 monitor and sensors don't need any resetting, the system will do it automatically. With the generation 1 system (the one that doesn't even notify you of what pressure each tire is, just that there is a low pressure), you previously needed to reset the system and then drive for a few miles. Now it seems the reset button has disappeared and just driving more miles doesn't fix it. I also tried changing the selected wheel option and then changing back, but it didn't work for me either. This is frustrating as my guess is that the only way to fix it is to upgrade to the gen 2 monitor and sensors (8 in my case) or convince Tesla that they have made a mistake and need to add the button back. The only other thing I can think of is to take it to the service center w/ each swap out of winter and summer tires, but that is a PITA.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. lvrouter

lvrouter Member

Having had a long problem with TPMS I can tell you that on my car with V10, changing the wheel type from 21 to 19 and then driving a short distance and the "TPMS RESET" message will pop up. Switch back to the original wheels and repeat the process. Clunky but necessary if the car doesn't recognize the sensors. I had significant issues with a second set of wheels/tires (purchased from a reward receiver) and ultimately used Autel dual-frequency sensors programmed to "clone" the original wheels/tires (same serial numbers). Works perfectly now when switching from one set to the other.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. Electric Dream

Electric Dream Pilots the Millennium Milkfloat

I am on V10 and still have the reset button although I believe the TPMS system is programmed slightly differently for Europe.

What sort of problems did you have and what sensors were in the wheels before you switched to Autel?

18. lvrouter

lvrouter Member

Rather long story, short version: purchased a set of referral wheels. They came with Gen 1 sensors but I didn't know that and installed them. Mobile service tried to fix and reprogrammed the car. Stil didn't work. I had them replaced with Autel sensors (local tire store), and bought a programming unit, still didn't work. Put original wheels/tires back on, they didn't work. Ultimately had to go to service center and they reprogrammed the car back to normal, apparently the mobile service guy changed something on the car which meant nothing would work. Two months of time wasted. Now both sets work perfectly.

19. s035327

s035327 Member

After I just swapped to my winter set of wheels, I cannot reset the TPMS. The button was gone on V10. Mine is 2014 MS. What should I do except bring the car to the service center?

20. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

Drive the car until the TPMS reset pops up on the screen. It will take several miles.