Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS warning with after market wheels - SC won't touch it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

quick question. From what I know, Tesla is required to take a look at my TPMS that keeps throwing the (TPMS malfunctioning. Contact Tesla service) code. The car still has warranty and unless they can prove that the after market parts are reason for the fault, they are required to treat it 100% as a warranty case.

However, every time I bring it in to Tesla they tell me they are not allowed to touch after market wheels. It's really frustrating because that warning comes and goes and I think one of the sensors is probably faulty and needs to get replaced. The thing is, I had this issue even before with the OEM wheels. So I am sure that it has nothing to do with my wheels.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Any tire shop can replace the TPMS sensors; they're part of the wheel & tire package. So, well, do that; take it to a local tire shop.

If TPMS is still throwing warnings with brand new TPMS sensors, take it to Tesla, tell them there's nothing wrong with the TPMS sensors because you just replaced them, and demand that they fix the computer problem. :)

• Informative
Reactions: Behind and kgroschi
Had you reported the problem or taken it in with the stock wheels?

Did you have the factory sensors moved to your aftermarket wheels, or are they aftermarket sensors?

When it is working does it show appropriate tire pressures? When it has an error does it show any pressures?

Maybe you can find someone locally that has a spare OEM set of wheels/tires you can borrow to test, and if they have the problem that would pretty much make it a car problem.

Reactions: kgroschi
Thanks for all the replies.

Had you reported the problem or taken it in with the stock wheels?

Did you have the factory sensors moved to your aftermarket wheels, or are they aftermarket sensors?

When it is working does it show appropriate tire pressures? When it has an error does it show any pressures?

No I did not take it in with stock wheels, unfortunately.

Yes they moved the stock sensors to my aftermarket wheels. At least that's what they told me.

It does show appropriate pressures, with or without the warning. That's the weird part.

Now a little additional info from my side. When they installed these particular wheels I have (Niche M117), they had to cut the sensor stems a little in order to make it fit. It sounds brutal, but they only sawed away a bit metal, that's about it. But again, since I had the warning even before the wheel change, I know that can't be the reason for the issue. Problem is, if I go to a local tire dealer and they put new sensors in, they won't fit unless they are willing to cut them, which is quite a bit of work. I feel like I might just be stuck with this issue until I buy new wheels again.

My service center installed and keeps putting on and off my Michelin ice 3 wheels. YMMV. It's not a company wide policy. Is there another service center near you?

You might confuse tires with wheels from what it sounds like?

Yes they moved the stock sensors to my aftermarket wheels. At least that's what they told me.

Now a little additional info from my side. When they installed these particular wheels I have (Niche M117), they had to cut the sensor stems a little in order to make it fit. It sounds brutal, but they only sawed away a bit metal, that's about it. But again, since I had the warning even before the wheel change, I know that can't be the reason for the issue. Problem is, if I go to a local tire dealer and they put new sensors in, they won't fit unless they are willing to cut them, which is quite a bit of work. I feel like I might just be stuck with this issue until I buy new wheels again.

So it is possible that you have a bad TMPS module, and Tesla can't just replace it since they would have to modify it to fit your custom wheels.

You could try a different service center to see if they would attempt to diagnosis it, but you have made it very difficult for them.

How often does the problem occur? I think your best bet would be to borrow some OEM wheels/tires and see if the problem persists. Maybe the SC would work with you on this?

Nah, I keep a winter set since I live in Chicago but they are not stock wheels or tires. They don't even have OEM TPMS installed since I bought them from Tire Rack.

My service center doesn't care.

The difference is they are just putting a wheel/tire combo on to/off of your car. They aren't dismounting the tire to replace a TPMS sensor that has been modified to fit non-OEM wheels.

So it is possible that you have a bad TMPS module, and Tesla can't just replace it since they would have to modify it to fit your custom wheels.

You could try a different service center to see if they would attempt to diagnosis it, but you have made it very difficult for them.

How often does the problem occur? I think your best bet would be to borrow some OEM wheels/tires and see if the problem persists. Maybe the SC would work with you on this?

I know :( I think the best bet would be to buy new wheels. I don't want to go back and put the stock wheels on.

The problem occurs like every few weeks. It would stay on for a week or two and then disappear again. Quite annoying but not annoying enough for me to go back to stock wheels and see if the warning comes on and then schedule an appointment with a few weeks of waiting time.

I think if I buy new wheels next year I will make sure that the OEM TPMS fits perfectly. If the error still occurs then, I am back to square one though since South Coast won't touch the wheels. I might really try to visit another SC then.

Thanks!