Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track Mode Handling Balance 0% Front 100% Rear - Does it reduce straight line acceleration or available power?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry it has been discussed but my search did not find it.
Does changing the balance from 50/50 default to say 0 front/100 rear change the straight line acceleration of the car?
Would 30/70 have impact to total acceleration power?
Thanks

It does not change overall available power. It does, however, essentially “reduce” power to the “unbiased” axle as you turn the steering wheel.

Honestly I have found it somewhat unpredictable. For example, i haven’t been able to fully figure out what it does when the car is sliding sideways but the steering wheel is straight. That said, I do run around 60% rear bias to help rotate the car at low speeds in tight corners.

So moving the bias from 50/50 to 0/100 does NOT reduce the power to the front?
How is it possible that reducing the power to the front does not reduce the overall power?
Is the rear motor on its own somehow able to make the same amount of power as the front and rear motor combined?
If this were true, that would mean that the rear motor was throttled down with restricted power output when the bias was 50/50, as in the limit of power was not the motors, but the power delivery, or power restriction management from the computer?

To my feel, the change is more like it retards the application rate of power to the other axle. But you still get to the same power eventually. And steering angle definitely has an effect on things as well. So its kind of unpredictable. But you can use it as a tool to adjust corner exit behavior. If you're getting exit push, move more rearward bias. If too much exit rotation then bring it forward.

Adding some forward bias, like 60/40, works great in the wet.

So moving the bias from 50/50 to 0/100 does NOT reduce the power to the front?
How is it possible that reducing the power to the front does not reduce the overall power?
Is the rear motor on its own somehow able to make the same amount of power as the front and rear motor combined?
If this were true, that would mean that the rear motor was throttled down with restricted power output when the bias was 50/50, as in the limit of power was not the motors, but the power delivery, or power restriction management from the computer?
When the wheel is straight at 100% throttle, both motors give full power.

Then, let’s say there is no traction control intervention, and you have a rear torque bias and mash the throttle with the steering wheel turned. In this case, the car will limit torque applied to the front wheels relative to the bias you set.

Some rough hypothetical math: if you managed to set 67/33% rear bias, and mashed the throttle with the wheel fully turned, the front motor would only generate half of its max power until the steering wheel was straightened.