Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track timers/data analyzers any recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to use the tesla track time thingy and video recorder....its not really a track set up, imo, requires manual intervention and only saves the last couple of minutes when you push the button.

Not sure how much time i time i'm going to devote to the track but are there any recommendations for Recorders- timers and data analyzers for the track? Anything reasonably priced

Tia
bondo

I tried to use the tesla track time thingy and video recorder....its not really a track set up, imo, requires manual intervention and only saves the last couple of minutes when you push the button.

Not sure how much time i time i'm going to devote to the track but are there any recommendations for Recorders- timers and data analyzers for the track? Anything reasonably priced

Tia
bondo

Are you sure you're using it right? I've found it to not only be super easy to use, but it records my entire session and there is way more data than any aftermarket system at a super high refresh rate. It basically beats many multi-thousand dollar data recorders on the market.

The only advantage to an aftermarket data recorder is the software analysis tools. For that, getting an AIM Solo 2 is probably your best option (which is what I use). You can also record extra data points with ScanMyTesla, but merging the AIM and SMT is pretty clunky. Again, the Track Mode data recorder is pretty great.

As far as Video recording goes, yeah the stock triple-cam kind of stinks. GoPro Hero 7 or 8 Black with Hypersmooth has been great for me.

Here is Track Mode data overlayed on to video from the GoPro Hero7 Black, note the super high refresh rate:

Not really sure if im using it correctly, seemed straight forward -> click here, set starting point, then start and stop. When i got home i ended up with 2 minutes of video (instead of +45minutes ). Nice, its my cool down lap, grrrrr.

I'll read the manual.. and i'll check out solo

Not really sure if im using it correctly, seemed straight forward -> click here, set starting point, then start and stop. When i got home i ended up with 2 minutes of video (instead of +45minutes ). Nice, its my cool down lap, grrrrr.

I'll read the manual.. and i'll check out solo

It could also be your USB stick speeds are too slow or maybe it was too close to full?

You can get an external GPS like the VBox Sport or Dragy and use your phone (I like Harry's lap timer) to collect the data. Once you have it, Circuit Tools is a great software to give you some basic parameters on what you need to do. I have used it many times to improve my times, I picked up a few tips and tricks along the way. It looks somewhere like this. I combine the GPS data and merged it with the Tesla's track mode datalog to get the power rating

0614 Laguna Seca R-S3 vs A6 Lap 2.4 diff.jpg