Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking KWH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I became the proud owner of a 90D.

[SUB]
Tesla Delivery.jpg
[/SUB]

I have a background in electrical engineering, so I and a certified electrician friend installed the NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage. I am also a techno-geek-nerd, and I knew I'd want to track the power used by the car, so I bought a nice KWH meter from EKM that tracks many parameters, and best of all, can upload them to the cloud. Here's the outlet - the meter is at the top:

NEMA outlet plus meter.jpg

Forgive the beat up wall, but note the twisted pair of wires coming out of the meter box toward the left. That is an RS-485 line that goes to an EKM "PUSH" box, which sends the data up to the cloud via my home Wifi (that's the Netgear box in the pic below).

PUSH box.jpg

From there, I can monitor my power usage via any browser. The site is a bit buggy and I am still learning it, but it's basically functional.

I got the car home at around 5:30 pm, and sat and played with a few things. It wasn't trying to charge, but it was replenishing what I used.

At about 9:30 pm, I sat at my desk and told it to charge​ via the Tesla app on my iPhone​
, so that I could watch it on the graph​ on my PC​
in real time. Cool.

At 10 pm I played a little more. At 1 am it started a scheduled charge, which didn't last long - ended around 1:20 am.

For this screen grab, I hovered the mouse over Amps Line 1 at the 1 am position, and you can see that the L1 current was 40 amps.

There are tons of other bits of data available, but for now, these are the ones that interest me.

I'll apply for Time of Use metering as soon as the car is registered; after that, I will pay 4 or 5 cents per KWH (depending on which exact plan I choose) for off-hours consumption. My daytime consumption should cap out at around 10.5 cents per KWH at peak times, because I believe I have sufficient solar capacity to not need to pay NV Energy. We'll see.

- Mike R.

emchen...

Sorry to take so long to reply - just figured out how to find my own posts!

Yes, electricity gets cheap here if you have an EV - the cost per kWh actually drops below 4 cents at night in winter. The flip side is that it gets very pricey (39 cents / kWh) during prime air conditioning hours (1 to 7 pm) in summer. I am hoping that my over-spec'd Solar City system will save me there - I am locked in at 10.5 cents with them.

Here is an extract from the NV Energy site:

upload_2016-3-17_5-26-21.png

- Mike.