Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-in a Tesla Lease not allowed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my lease that is not on there.I tripled checked.I have asked them to provide that info and all they send me is that I owe late fees.Why does it matter to them when
they have been paid in full.
So item 27 ,28 on the lease for early termination does not say that.27 says we can end for any reason.28 says all we have to do is pay the adjusted balance which we did.It does give you the right to an appraiser. But nowhere does it say you can not sell to a dealer.I ran a large corp that I owned.I had 450 employees I think I can read a lease .I am not venting just telling fellow owners what is going on at Tesla.

On the current page, it says that under "Frequently Asked Questions". But as of February 2, 2021, it didn't say that: Wayback Machine - Ending Your Lease Early

But you were supposed to send them the buyout quote. Oh, and there was a $350 fee for it:
I asked them for a buyout and they confirmed it was the same as the App. They did tell me that I could not sell to Mercedes. I asked where was that on my lease. They just said no and they would give me the $75k I owed.No more. It is not in my lease.

So item 27 ,28 on the lease for early termination does not say that.27 says we can end for any reason.28 says all we have to do is pay the adjusted balance which we did.It does give you the right to an appraiser. But nowhere does it say you can not sell to a dealer.I ran a large corp that I owned.I had 450 employees I think I can read a lease .I am not venting just telling fellow owners what is going on at Tesla.
What is the exact wording in your exact leases section in the early buyout/purchase section. It will have to disclose the terms. That’s the main thing we care about. I have seen lease horror stories that had wording that allowed that option to be determined/changed and was solely up to the leasing company. I doubt yours has that kind of wording but Tesla has changed their lease terms so many times all that matters is the version you have.

I'm sorry to say I don't have anything to add to help you. But, I want to thank you for posting this. I am planning to purchase my daughter's MX at the end of her lease in September. If nothing else, your saga serves as a warning to anyone attempting to navigate a lease buyout to use extreme care in making sure the transaction conforms with the terms of the lease TO THE LETTER.

all we have to do is pay the adjusted balance which we did

Did you? Or did a third-party dealer?

But nowhere does it say you can not sell to a dealer.

And no where are they stopping you from selling the vehicle to a dealer. At least after you own it. (You can't sell it to a dealer while the leasing company still owns it, as it doesn't belong to you.) Sure leasing companies often make that simpler by taking payment from a third-party and releasing the title to them, but I doubt your lease agreement says that they will do that.

If you pay them what is owed, they will give you the title and then you can do whatever you want with it.

MP3Mike is correct. You do not own the leased vehicle and Tesla has the right to refuse to sell to 3rd parties, and at any price they want to 3rd parties. In that case you’d just have to do the buyout yourself and sell it to the dealer afterwards and depends on which state you are in there are tax implications which is why most people prefer to have the 3rd party dealer do the buyout. That’s probably your best bet right now to get it settled. Sorry can’t really help your situation but just reliterating the issue involved with leased buyouts these days.

Some banks, like Ally, even have different buyout quotes for different parties/purposes - the lessee quote, dealer for inventory quote, and dealer for lessee quote, all in different amounts.

Reactions: MP3Mike
So my saga with Tesla continues.They cashed the dealers check and then after a week returned it.So I have to pay Tesla the same amount by wire.Then they will give me the papers on the car so I can close with the Lady who bought my car from the dealer.Now the dealer will not advance me the $75k to pay off the car and says I have to pay first then they will reimburse me.I have thrown in the towel and asked for my car back and they can pick up the EQS.Why ????? None of this is in my lease.I will sell both of our Xs and never buy another Tesla.Yes this is a rant but what stupidity from Tesla.

Now the dealer will not advance me the $75k to pay off the car and says I have to pay first then they will reimburse me.I have thrown in the towel and asked for my car back and they can pick up the EQS. Why ????? None of this is in my lease.
Why would there be anything in your lease about a third-party dealer fronting you the money for you to buy your vehicle? o_O

What is in your lease is that you can buy out the vehicle. It does not say that a third-party can buy out your lease....

Interesting thread. In summary :
- OP wants a Mercedes-like service experience, where representatives work with the owner on various topics and keep them happy.
- Tesla does not offer that type of service/ownership experience.
- OP tried to trade in his leased Tesla, without realizing that lots of leasing companies including Tesla have stopped accepting 3rd-party buyouts.
- OP will take his current and future business away from Tesla, to a company who treats owners better. Makes sense!

Reactions: HankLloydRight