Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any recent tradein stories? My friend has a 2013 lexus he wants to trade in. It needs some brake servicing but everything else pretty good. Just wondering how scrutinizing they are. When i traded in my car in 2019 they didnt even look at my car and gave me the full value they offered online.

Here's one for you. I had my 2018 Model 3 Performance (with the 2018 Performance Pack) valued for trade in and the initial offer was $21,800 which excludes FSD as I was going to transfer that. It was pretty heart breaking given the car cost $75k in 2018 (plus NY tax) and according to Elon and a lot of his slightly less abled-thinking fans, it was supposed to be an appreciating asset!

Anyhoo - I ordered the new car, reminding myself that this would also depreciate at least 50% in the first 2 years, and was about to take delivery. However the trade-in offer was reduced by $3000 just today because I have aftermarket wheels. Now anyone with an original Model 3 Performance from 2018 will tell you the 20" OEM wheels on that thing were completely garbage, mine actually broke after hitting a NYC pothole, so I replaced them with far superior 19" TSportsline wheels. According to Tesla, this is why my car had the trade-in value reduced. So... order cancelled, I'll consider a private sale sometime in the future.

Anyone have any recent tradein stories? My friend has a 2013 lexus he wants to trade in. It needs some brake servicing but everything else pretty good. Just wondering how scrutinizing they are. When i traded in my car in 2019 they didnt even look at my car and gave me the full value they offered online.
i've done 3x
dont fix it, dont wash it, no maintenance, dont do anything
they dont test the mechanics, dont look at brakes, dont look at tires, nada
types of trade ins:
-past accident history, dont repair, they will find what damage happened in the search and having a past accident(s) has already lowered the potential value
-no accident history, interior should not have anything broken or torn, no reason to clean, they only look at photos
-seasonal vehicle and you are trading in, in alignment with the season, big SUV get $$ Nov to Feb, convertibles April to Sept, then the offer should be close to the original est offer
-classic or rare vehicle, sell on your own, Tesla wont give the collectible value for the auction wont
what affects the final offer vs the initial, accidents that show up in the VIN search, they use autocheck.com
they immediately send the vehicle to auction, when they give you an offer, they will have already gotten an offer from the auction thats binding to Tesla

Reactions: father_of_6
I traded my car in yesterday at Ala Moana. They didn't even look at it, just asked where it was parked.

Since you're in Honolulu - I parked my car next to the Mortons Steakhouse pillar. I was inside the office, behind the row of demo vehicles. You couldn't even see the car. The person just had me sign a paper that the mileage was within 1,000 miles of when I uploaded the pictures and gave me the full value that was listed in the app.

Here's one for you. I had my 2018 Model 3 Performance (with the 2018 Performance Pack) valued for trade in and the initial offer was $21,800 which excludes FSD as I was going to transfer that. It was pretty heart breaking given the car cost $75k in 2018 (plus NY tax) and according to Elon and a lot of his slightly less abled-thinking fans, it was supposed to be an appreciating asset!

Anyhoo - I ordered the new car, reminding myself that this would also depreciate at least 50% in the first 2 years, and was about to take delivery. However the trade-in offer was reduced by $3000 just today because I have aftermarket wheels. Now anyone with an original Model 3 Performance from 2018 will tell you the 20" OEM wheels on that thing were completely garbage, mine actually broke after hitting a NYC pothole, so I replaced them with far superior 19" TSportsline wheels. According to Tesla, this is why my car had the trade-in value reduced. So... order cancelled, I'll consider a private sale sometime in the future.
Going through an eerily similar experience. Trading a 2018 M3 LR, for a new M3. Original offer $22,000 +, reduced to $21,800 after pics sent in. No reason given. Car is perfect, only 21,000 miles. We too are transferring FSD. Then they delay delivery, now the month is up, new estimate is reduced $3500! No explanation. I have asked for a response but I'll likely cancel. They are not transparent and this is kind. Unethical comes to mind, maybe dishonest? Deceptive trade practices? Not a good look Tesla! You can drive away even supporting customers with this BS.

Reactions: Wooloomooloo
Going through an eerily similar experience. Trading a 2018 M3 LR, for a new M3. Original offer $22,000 +, reduced to $21,800 after pics sent in. No reason given. Car is perfect, only 21,000 miles. We too are transferring FSD. Then they delay delivery, now the month is up, new estimate is reduced $3500! No explanation. I have asked for a response but I'll likely cancel. They are not transparent and this is kind. Unethical comes to mind, maybe dishonest? Deceptive trade practices? Not a good look Tesla! You can drive away even supporting customers with this BS.
Well given today's numbers, they were obviously trying to pump sales for this quarter as much as possible, given Elon's other hobbies all depend on using TSLA as collateral. I am still considering the upgrade, but my eyes are wandering slightly to the 2024 ID4, which is much improved, or waiting a few more years for the Rivian R2 or even R3. But oh that charging infra...also FUSC really is a huge bonus.

I’m not happy either but EV resale has dropped drastically
There is a chart
In your case they might have found a past insurance claim
Well given today's numbers, they were obviously trying to pump sales for this quarter as much as possible, given Elon's other hobbies all depend on using TSLA as collateral. I am still considering the upgrade, but my eyes are wandering slightly to the 2024 ID4, which is much improved, or waiting a few more years for the Rivian R2 or even R3. But oh that charging infra...also FUSC really is a huge bonus.
I'd wait to give you more options, as even with the SCs opening up, you need the adapter per brand and backend billing
Ford nailed it with the back end and free adapters, Rivian has the back end done, but no adapters, the rest, dont see both parts ready
wait for the competition to be able fully charge using the SCs, agree the VW software has improved and with all three, non-Tesla UI/OS and both part of SC charging ready, the decision will be easier for you to consider alternatives to Tesla
good luck

Reactions: Wooloomooloo
It was around $1,000 less vs what I would have received at a traditional dealership. Tesla estimate and final price was identical.
Legacy dealerships scrutinize every inch of a trade in, horrible bait and switch games
Hate the experience and no dealer is different, all the same
Consider the sales tax savings, if you understand
Tesla trade in is non dramatic, no games, seamless