Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in ICE for CPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What kind of experience have you had trading in a "ICE" vehicle for a CPO with Tesla? Hopefully, at the end of this month I will start the process of buying a CPO. Just curious if Tesla gives you a fair trade in for your Ice vehicle. I heard some people saying try CarMax, but they seem to Low Ball you on the price. I assume buying from Tesla is different than other dealerships. Is there any bargaining power with Tesla and trade in's?

Oh its a low ball haha

I placed an order for my 85D last night.

I have a 2015 Benz c300 CPO w/ 15k miles fully loaded.

Tesla was 25k (dealer network)
Carmax was 26k
USAA Sell my car was 29,055

Wholesale auction prices on my car are 27-31k. I have a friend that pulled it for me. Private sell is an option too but, lose tax credits.

I got an estimate trade-in of my 2010 BMW 328xi of $9200 but they would need to a more formal inspection. It can only go down from there. KBB has $9200 as the lowest range in trade in, so it wasn't a good offer. I might try and see what I can get for it privately as I do have a couple of people interested. Unfortunately, CarMax doesn't have any stores in NY. I am considering taking the ferry from Long Island to CT and then it's a 30 minute drive to CarMax from there. Tesla will match Carmax prices.

I got an estimate trade-in of my 2010 BMW 328xi of $9200 but they would need to a more formal inspection. It can only go down from there. KBB has $9200 as the lowest range in trade in, so it wasn't a good offer. I might try and see what I can get for it privately as I do have a couple of people interested. Unfortunately, CarMax doesn't have any stores in NY. I am considering taking the ferry from Long Island to CT and then it's a 30 minute drive to CarMax from there. Tesla will match Carmax prices.
I have tried carmax twice probably 7 years ago and it was like wholesale offers. I doubt that has changed any.

Tesla was 25k (dealer network)
Carmax was 26k
USAA Sell my car was 29,055
Do you have a limited timeframe to accept the offer from USAA? I'm not sure how long it will be til I get my CPO, but probably won't be til the end of the month. Ideally I'd like to sell my current car to a private party, but if I sell it too early I'll be stuck with Uber or my mom's bicycle as my primary mode of transportation. :eek: