TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Trade in ICE for CPO

Discussion in 'Model S' started by bharned3, Jan 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bharned3

bharned3 Member

What kind of experience have you had trading in a "ICE" vehicle for a CPO with Tesla? Hopefully, at the end of this month I will start the process of buying a CPO. Just curious if Tesla gives you a fair trade in for your Ice vehicle. I heard some people saying try CarMax, but they seem to Low Ball you on the price. I assume buying from Tesla is different than other dealerships. Is there any bargaining power with Tesla and trade in's?

2. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

Oh its a low ball haha

I placed an order for my 85D last night.

I have a 2015 Benz c300 CPO w/ 15k miles fully loaded.

Tesla was 25k (dealer network)
    Carmax was 26k
    USAA Sell my car was 29,055

Wholesale auction prices on my car are 27-31k. I have a friend that pulled it for me. Private sell is an option too but, lose tax credits.

3. bharned3

bharned3 Member

ugh I was afraid of that. This will be a painful process

4. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

I got an estimate trade-in of my 2010 BMW 328xi of $9200 but they would need to a more formal inspection. It can only go down from there. KBB has $9200 as the lowest range in trade in, so it wasn't a good offer. I might try and see what I can get for it privately as I do have a couple of people interested. Unfortunately, CarMax doesn't have any stores in NY. I am considering taking the ferry from Long Island to CT and then it's a 30 minute drive to CarMax from there. Tesla will match Carmax prices.

5. bharned3

bharned3 Member

I have tried carmax twice probably 7 years ago and it was like wholesale offers. I doubt that has changed any.

6. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

Yeah, it will cost me $120 to take a ferry round trip just to get to Carmax and I would be pretty pissed if I did that for a low offer :)

• Like x 1
  7. Steve1081

Steve1081 Member

I took my BMW to probably 6 places for trade in evaluation and they were all within 1,000 of CarMax. As others have said Tesla will match CarMax. About as fair of a trade in policy as I can think of.

No one pays up for trades in my experience... if you want retail money you need to do the legwork and sell it retail.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  8. pedriscoll

pedriscoll True Blue Tesla Fan

Tesla offered me $13000 for my 2012 Camry Hybrid with 50K miles on in in June of 2015 when I bought by 85D. Carmax offered $14000. I sold it to TruWorth Auto for $16000, which was pretty much the KBB value for a good condition car.

• Like x 1
  9. skitch23

skitch23 Member

Do you have a limited timeframe to accept the offer from USAA? I'm not sure how long it will be til I get my CPO, but probably won't be til the end of the month. Ideally I'd like to sell my current car to a private party, but if I sell it too early I'll be stuck with Uber or my mom's bicycle as my primary mode of transportation. :eek:

10. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

I have plenty of cars to drive but, paying mine off in 2 weeks so makes it smoother. My CPO 85D comes in 4 weeks. So, I dont have a huge window on the private market..ugh