Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade In Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I ordered a MYP and very excited to join the Tesla family. My question is: my trade in (offer accepted early March) is a leased car and the lease agreement is over in early May but my EDD is June to July. We are willing to drop it off to Tesla earlier as we do have another car. Can I make the trade in earlier than the EDD? If so, who do I contact?

Hi everyone, I ordered a MYP and very excited to join the Tesla family. My question is: my trade in (offer accepted early March) is a leased car and the lease agreement is over in early May but my EDD is June to July. We are willing to drop it off to Tesla earlier as we do have another car. Can I make the trade in earlier than the EDD? If so, who do I contact?
You can trade-in a leased car? Didn’t think you could this.

In any sense, if you can trade-in, you can’t trade-in early. Tesla won’t accept it until you pick-up your new vehicle.

Upvote 0
No, you can’t do trade in early, or late. Only at time of delivery

Upvote 0
You can only trade in at time of delivery as far as I know. I would ask your SA to confirm just in case something has changed.

If you don’t want to return it at lease end you have a couple of options. Sell it to another 3rd party like vroom or carmax, ask to extend the lease. Unless there is a tax benefit to trading it in at the same time your probably better off selling it to another 3rd party dealer anyway.

Upvote 0

You can extend the lease and go month to month after the lease-end date, which would buy you time until the Tesla arrives.

As for trading it into a company other than the dealer you bought from...it depends on who is your leasing company. Many lessors are getting smart to the upside-down market and no longer allow you to trade in a lease to another seller since the car is worth more than the residual price agreed on when you started the lease. You must close out the lease yourself by buying it from the dealer you got it from, and they can add on fees as well. They rerally want you to just give the car back so they can make some money. Nissan forces you to only buy back from the dealer, so does Kia. However, GM (Ally) and Mazda allow 3rd party to buy your vehicle, for example (they used to last year, anyways).

Last edited:
Reactions: JimMay
Upvote 0
You can extend the lease and go month to month after the lease end end date, which would buy you time until the Tesla arrives.

As for trading it into a company other than the dealer you bought from...it depends on who is your leasing company. Many are getting smart to the upside-down market and no longer allow you to trade in a lease to another seller since the car is worth more than the residual price agreed on when you started the lease. You must close out the lease yourself by buying it from the dealer you got it from, and they can add on fees as well. They rerally want you to just give the car back so they can make some money. Nissan forces you to only buy back from the dealer, so does Kia. However, GM (Ally) and Mazda allow 3rd party to buy your vehicle, for example (they used to last year, anyways).
Trade-Ins also lists dealers that do not allow third party buyout

Reactions: SilentWarp
Upvote 0