Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in quotes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well then I'm doing them a favor as I have a wholesale broker that will take the car right when the trade is completed. Tesla just need to facilitate the transaction to capture the sales tax credit. They're not holding inventory or need cash as the broker takes the car and pays them the same day.
You haven’t learned they don’t want anyone else to deal with teslas (right or wrong, that’s what they do )

To Apple, or you cell company or some store that carries Apple? Only recently has Apple considered selling refurb phones, and it sounds like you've been doing this for years. If it is Apple, did you just take it to the Apple store? Do they trade in non-Apple devices too?

PS) the reason why Apple is going into refurbs is because the used iPhone market started being sizable. Used Tesla used market is not there yet.

Yes, I walk into an actual Apple Store, give them my old phone and they hand me the latest model. I’ve been doing it for at least 3 years. I don’t know if they accept non-Apple devices for anything other than recycling / disposal.

What’s really happening is that they are working with Citizens One bank to charge the new phone to a line of credit for 24 payments at 0% interest. The phone is mine, it’s not a lease. I can trade it after 12 payments for the latest model, which is right at their new model release schedule, or I can pay it off at any time. So I’m effectively getting 50% value after 12 months with no hassle, which is pretty good considering I’d only average about 60% net on eBay after all the fees and hassle.

More info here: How to upgrade - iPhone Upgrade Program - Apple

This is reminiscent of Tesla’s since-discontinued resale value guarantee. I’d like to be able to get the latest Model S at a time of my choosing (i.e. not bound to a lease term) and be assured of a certain value (given age and mileage). It’s a lot to ask but probably the way a vehicle like this “should” work.

Tesla should better learn to sell used cars and offer reasonable trade-in values since selling used cars is often higher margin than selling new cars.
Lots of businesses may have higher margins than making EVs. That’s not the point. As long as Tesla can sell as many EVs it can make, at the price it wants, having to deal with trade-ins is just a distraction that it would rather not have.

Reactions: mblakele
Yes, I walk into an actual Apple Store, give them my old phone and they hand me the latest model. I’ve been doing it for at least 3 years. I don’t know if they accept non-Apple devices for anything other than recycling / disposal.

What’s really happening is that they are working with Citizens One bank to charge the new phone to a line of credit for 24 payments at 0% interest. The phone is mine, it’s not a lease. I can trade it after 12 payments for the latest model, which is right at their new model release schedule, or I can pay it off at any time. So I’m effectively getting 50% value after 12 months with no hassle, which is pretty good considering I’d only average about 60% net on eBay after all the fees and hassle.

More info here: How to upgrade - iPhone Upgrade Program - Apple

This is reminiscent of Tesla’s since-discontinued resale value guarantee. I’d like to be able to get the latest Model S at a time of my choosing (i.e. not bound to a lease term) and be assured of a certain value (given age and mileage). It’s a lot to ask but probably the way a vehicle like this “should” work.
According to some recent studies, people are holding onto their phone much longer than only few years ago. It makes sens for Apple to try to capture some of the refurb business, especially that it's cutting into their new phone sales.