Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in value and surprise accident damage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there are a lot of Tesla lovers here, and this may get voted down, but here goes ..

Car companies make money when they sell you the car, but also the entire chain, from when they sell you the car, to when you sell it.

In the case of Tesla,
  1. First they make money selling you the car.
  2. Then you are bound to a single vendor providing you expensive service, which they pretty much have monopoly on.
  3. Same goes for repair parts, even though repairs are not done by Tesla, the parts are solely produced by Tesla.
  4. And then they also do their best to control the used Tesla market.
Other car companies try to do this too, but no one has nearly as tight a grip on the entire chain, as Tesla does. And this gives Tesla an absolute price control, and owners very little control and a greater chance of getting screwed.

And in that sense, I feel it is good if governments prevent a Tesla monopoly on Tesla's market. So as much as I hate used car salesmen, I'd be thrilled to see third party buying selling locations, and especially repair facilities, even if that means dealerships. I hope Tesla pre-empts that by fostering a legit third party marketplace before dealerships are thrust down their throat .. because .. eventually it's gonna happen.

I couldn't agree more, but that's the beauty of patents and the reward of breaking into a new market.

If you need any more proof of what Sir Guacamolaf claims, simply look at the company's latest pricing strategy. The lowered the price of the S60 and use a S75 battery that is limited by software. So when a S60 trade in happens they simply flip a switch and boom add $9,000 to the value. The original owner paid for the 75Kw battery and never even got to use the 15kw they purchased. The same goes with Autopilot bam they can make another $2,500. You get the point. Just brilliant.

Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf