Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traded P85D for Chevy Bolt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. Not true, not even close. For the very small number of Tesla's that have "reduced charge rate", the rate is close to what my 2013 Model S gets after 7.5 years, I've got the original "A" pack, slowest charging battery ever produced by Tesla, and my car still charges at 90kW peak, well above the rate majority of EV owners of any other non-Tesla (Bolt or anything else) will practically see for the next few years, maybe when other charge networks are as ubiquitous they might get close, but it's still no contest, Tesla wins on charge rate in real world road trips.

You can't compare the A batteries. They may not have started out a high as the D/E versions that can do 120KW but the A battery didn't get hobbled any where near as much as D/E batteries many of which peak out at much much lower than 90KW with the current software.

Last edited:
I'm on newest firmware, in one of the oldest Model S ever made (~VIN 6000) and my charge rates are the same as when the car left the factory, AND I've got the latest features for voice command and other conveniences, and my browser also works great on the newest web sites. V8.1 is old and it's a sad day when you brag about not upgrading, makes no sense.

That's because you have an A battery :)

What doesn't make sense is that what you claim to be true is pretty much the opposite of what everyone who has MCU1 and V9/V10 reports. There are dozens of threads with hundreds of complaints.
But to each his own. I've used V9 and V10 in co-workers cars that that have MCU1 and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy....well maybe my worst :p

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: croman and Chaserr
for the cars that are effected, it seems that the V8 software doesn't nerf them, so he's not wrong

He's wrong because he's guessing he would be "affected" in some negative way by a firmware upgrade. Staying on V8 is no guarantee his car will be better for longevity compared to say my ancient Model S that has latest firmware and charges like new, and is 97% original capacity. I'm betting (like the majority of owners) that Tesla firmware updates will be a net positive for the longevity and long term "performance" of my car.

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: croman and Chaserr
He's wrong because he's guessing he would be "affected" in some negative way by a firmware upgrade.

I'm not wrong because I'm not willing to take the chance and I'm certainly not willing to upgrade just to prove you wrong!!

I'm happy with the way it is now and have seen way too many Tesla owners screwed with chargegate and battery gate. There are nearly 13K messages in a single thread on this.

Last edited:
No. Not true, not even close. For the very small number of Tesla's that have "reduced charge rate", the rate is close to what my 2013 Model S gets after 7.5 years, I've got the original "A" pack, slowest charging battery ever produced by Tesla, and my car still charges at 90kW peak, well above the rate majority of EV owners of any other non-Tesla (Bolt or anything else) will practically see for the next few years, maybe when other charge networks are as ubiquitous they might get close, but it's still no contest, Tesla wins on charge rate in real world road trips.

Your A pack charger 2x -4x faster than limited B and D packs now. You know that already, everybody tell u when you constantly bring up how much faster your car charges than others. From how fast your car is it's probably one of the fastest charging 85s left.

Peak isn't charge speeds by the way. Bolts charge their full 60kwh long before my car gets to 60kwh. Probably an entire hour faster!

If you don't understand why people don't brag about downgrading, trade batteries with me. My battery is newer and you think it charges faster. I pay for the swap you get a upgrade for free. Why not free upgrade? Makes no sense not to.

You know he's right. You've participated in the downgrade thread. You know Tesla admitted they downgrade charging speeds. It's never been a secret, keeping 8.1 makes your car measurably better.

Last edited: