Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic information without premium connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model 3 just had premium conectivity turned off, so I have been using a wireless dongle. Traffic is no longer shown on the map, and the car no longer routes round problems. As proven last week when it tried sending me down the M3 when it was closed.

Is the only way to resolve this to re-subscribe to PC or is there a function I can enable on the car to allow traffic routing ?

My model 3 just had premium conectivity turned off, so I have been using a wireless dongle. Traffic is no longer shown on the map, and the car no longer routes round problems. As proven last week when it tried sending me down the M3 when it was closed.

Is the only way to resolve this to re-subscribe to PC or is there a function I can enable on the car to allow traffic routing ?
I probably should have searched Tesla FAQs before asking, but I just found this on the Tesla UK site in the FAQs.

Will Standard Connectivity affect in-car maps and routing?
No. All cars with Standard Connectivity will continue to receive the same core maps & navigation functionality as cars with Premium Connectivity, including traffic-based routing, Trip Planner and Supercharger stall availability. Premium Connectivity will add satellite-view maps and live traffic visualization.

As proven last week when it tried sending me down the M3 when it was closed.

That's just that the car SatNav didn't have that data at that time (which, for example, Waze might well have had).

Traffic re-routing is available without premium connectivity ... but tis only as good as the data source :( I use both Waze for traffic-routing as I find it more accurate, and the car SatNav for the map.

I guess it's one of those things that how can you actually know if it is routing you the right way without having PC. I don't think there's a notification to say that the route has changed due to congestion, do you?

The acid test would've been if two cars on the same road, one with PC and one without, tried routing to the same destination.

I don't think there's a notification to say that the route has changed due to congestion

Not sure about that. I do remember getting a notification when my destination Supercharger went off line (powercut) and it routed me elsewhere

Waze gives me a Green or Red icon / message it journey got longer / shorter

the car no longer routes round problems

just checking that you do have "Online Routing" turned on (and the threshold number of minutes to save set to something appropriate)?

If it used to re-route you, and now doesn't, then seems likely that that is indeed set ... unless something unexpectedly changed it.

Reactions: Durzel
That's just that the car SatNav didn't have that data at that time (which, for example, Waze might well have had).

Traffic re-routing is available without premium connectivity ... but tis only as good as the data source :( I use both Waze for traffic-routing as I find it more accurate, and the car SatNav for the map.
Im not sure that fits with what I am seeing on my daily commute to work. Last week the Motorway was completely closed with a 2 hour diversion, google maps wanted me to divert, the car didn't notice the closure and still said it would take me 30 minutes to get home. I don't have Waze, but I would be staggered if it handnt noticed a motorway closure.

At this time I see no evidence that traffic based routing is functional on my car.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
At this time I see no evidence that traffic based routing is functional on my car.

Premium connectivity is visualisation only. Traffic routing is done by Tesla's servers. What ends up in the car doesn't make it back to the servers, at least, not directly from the car.

When we briefly went without Premium connectivity, I found traffic rerouting to behave no differently to when premium connectivity was available - both cases rerouting can be just as hit an miss, and that remains the same back with premium connectivity. Several occasions where roads have recently become blocked, visualisations show black lines, yet car still is routing that route. I recon from experience that routing often lags by at least 15 minutes and irrespective of Premium Connectivity or not, you can still end up joining an evolving traffic problem, or conversely, driving through a recently cleared traffic problem. tbh, Tesla routing latency seems no better or worse than other traffic providers that I have used.

you can still end up joining an evolving traffic problem

I think Waze is quick in this respect (but hard to gather hard-data of course ...)

I've taken a junction because Waze was telling me that there was trouble ahead ... and got up onto the bridge to see queuing traffic for an incident that was only a short distance away. Can't have taken very long for traffic to stop, and clog up that short distance, thus it seemed that the Waze reaction time was very quick ... I suspect if Waze is in use in several cars on a stretch that normally moves at 70 MPH and several/all users all drop to 0 MPH in short order then it seems that Waze is optimised to disseminate that.

driving through a recently cleared traffic problem

I think (again, a bit subjective) Waze doesn't do that as well. Traffic moving is probably not sufficient to "promptly" lift the restriction. For example, I've been stuck in a lane of non-moving traffic where the other lane is moving quite well, so Waze would get conflicting data ... tail-backs clear quite slowly too, so perhaps hard to guesstimate the point at which it clears (although Waze is very good at the moment you grind to a halt with popping up "Tine in traffic X minutes" which is often very accurate ... so it must be adjusting that continuously, based on Lat-Long, as the tailback grows ... perhaps it can do something similar for the tailback clearing). The alternative of crowd-sourced pressing of the button for "No longer a problem" is probably useful, but Waze would want several reports to have a reasonable confidence level.

For me Waze is wouldn't-leave-home-without-it.