TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Transatlantic Tesla/EV conversations. Hang out with us at Paddington 2015-10-29 6p-8p

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by AEdennis, Oct 23, 2015.

1. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

#1 AEdennis, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    Hi all. We'll be crossing "The Pond" next week to watch the Bronze and Finals of the Rugby Championship, :wink: I mean, the Rugby World Cup.

We thought that it would be fun to meet-up with any interested EV folks on TMC and SpeakEV community members in real life (IRL) and talk EVs and the like. Since we're staying nearby and don't really know a good place to park and show off EVs on a Thursday night in London, I picked a pub at Paddington Station for this meet-up. Perhaps you'd be interested in talking long drives with a Model S, our firsthand observations from the Founders Series Model X Launch Party, or the challenges with living with a CPO Roaster? We can talk that... or even rugby.

We've scheduled the event on Thursday, October 29th from 6:00-8:00 PM (1800-2000) as we have commitments at 9:30 PM.

I created a shareable Google Sheet for manual signups. Sign up here - The Mad Bishop & Bear Pub - Paddington Station and the Google Map is here

Hope to see some of you there, otherwise it's just my wife and I drinking. PM me to swap contact numbers.

2. nikko

nikko New Member

You are very lucky to have tickets to those games. I was offered a spare to go to the England/Australia match in the pool games but had to pass it up. In hindsight, I was glad that I did!

I may well take you up on the meet up in Paddington. I live in Wiltshire but work in London, travelling up on a Monday morning, staying in the company house three nights, then returning back on a Thursday night from Paddington. The tickets get cheaper at 7pm so who knows? I have an 85D floating somewhere in the Atlantic right now, due for delivery in the first or second week of Dec.

I note with interest the pub you've chosen. I normally go up there for a coffee from the French pastry stall but the pub itself is a bit on the grotty side (IMHO). It will be great as a meeting point for this gig but if you have other times when you want to wet your whistle in the same area, I can recommend this place highly: Gyngleboy, 27 Spring Street, London W2 1JA. It's more wine bar than pub but the beer they do serve is good as is the food. No trip to London is complete without a decent curry and you can't get more decent than The Red Fort, 77 Dean St, London W1D 3SH. Yes, its top-end, but very very good nosh.

Hope your trip is awesome, and don't let me hear you cheering for the wrong side ;-)

3. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

We planned for this trip almost a year ago... We were in Sydney in 2003 for the Finals, Jonny Wilkinson's winning drop-goal and the rain... So, it all evens up...

Aside from my the Eagles, I root for the All Blacks. So, not sure who the "wrong side is for you."

If you can join us for that time @nikko it would be awesome.

4. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Hopefully some of you can make it...

I realized that I had the link to the Google Sheet (EV Meetup 2015-10-29 - London trip - Google Sheets) set for view only originally...

Fixed that.

Take some time off and have discussions and have an EVening of EVs, Teslas, and drink on a Thursday night.

5. nikko

nikko New Member

Sorry I missed you Dennis. I waited for 30 mins outside the pub and I did PM my cell but I guess the carrier pigeons were taking a break. Anyway, hope you enjoy your rugby w/end!

Nikko

6. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Thanks Nikko. As you know from the texts, we were actually inside already. Next time.

7. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Glad to meet you on Thursday. Good job I was awake in the middle of the night and spotted the thread on SpeakEV just before. Even better that my meeting finished early and I was able to switch my ticket for the early train.

8. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Great meeting up with you all and the rugby portion of the trip is now complete.

9. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

We're heading back to your side of the Pond and having another TransAtlantic EV Meetup... This time on November 17, 2016 between 1800 and 2000 at The King & Co, 100 Clapham Park Road, SW4 7BZ...

Hoping to see more TMC member too... See this thread.