Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transfer of Ownership Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can I utilize Tesla superchargers while I wait on transfer of ownership process to finish? I purchased a used 2022 MYLR and it has low battery life. My wall charger won’t be installed for another couple days so I need to figure out how to get juice in the meantime. I have a Lvl 1 charger but that won’t get me where I need to go. I am bit anxious to get to a supercharger and not be allowed to use it because of this limbo phase I’m in

Last edited:
Did you buy from a dealer or private party?

Until the previous owner removes the car from their account, it will still bill to them. If you purchased from a private party, contact them and negotiate keeping the car on their account until you get the paperwork needed to transfer to you account. If you purchased from a dealer, who knows if the car is still tied to an account.

In the past Tesla has allowed 1-2 "free" charging sessions for cars not tied an account. In June 2020, there were reports that Tesla had added an In Car Payment Option for charging a car not tied to an account. However, I have not heard of anyone using the on screen option since then or if the free sessions are still the policy.

Check on Plugshare for Level 2 chargers near you as a backup option.

If you do try supercharging, please let us know what happens.

Did you buy from a dealer or private party?

Until the previous owner removes the car from their account, it will still bill to them. If you purchased from a private party, contact them and negotiate keeping the car on their account until you get the paperwork needed to transfer to you account. If you purchased from a dealer, who knows if the car is still tied to an account.

In the past Tesla has allowed 1-2 "free" charging sessions for cars not tied an account. In June 2020, there were reports that Tesla had added an In Car Payment Option for charging a car not tied to an account. However, I have not heard of anyone using the on screen option since then or if the free sessions are still the policy.

Check on Plugshare for Level 2 chargers near you as a backup option.

If you do try supercharging, please let us know what happens.
Bought from dealer. I want to try and find the previous owners info

Any way to expedite the car transfer of ownership process?
The only faster way is if the prior owner still has it in their account and can submit a transfer directly to you. Otherwise you have to submit a request to Tesla, with paperwork to prove you are the owner, to have them put the car in your account. I've heard that they process those fairly quickly now, but you do have to have the correct paperwork, which I think in some states can take a while to get.

Dealers really should create a Tesla account and get the prior owner to transfer the car to them when they buy it, then they can transfer it to the next owner quickly. (It would also allow them to demo the app features.)

In the meantime, look for EVGo chargers. Not sure where you're located but some of the EVGo chargers (at least in SoCal) have Tesla connectors. The EVGo app will show the connector types available. The ones here can charge Tesla's at 100kW or 200kW if you have the CCS1 adapter.

IMG_2203-evgo.png

Download the app, search for chargers and look for Tesla connectors like the above^. These are 50kW chargers. If you happen to find a Tesla CCS1 adapter on OfferUp, you can use that to charge anywhere with CCS.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeflonDon