Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transfer of ownership speed is slow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owner of a model 3. Love it! Dealing with no supercharger right now, NOT LOVING IT. Why a customer has to wait 3 to 5 business days to access one of the best things about the Tesla experience is beyond me!
Drove home the used car 226 miles. Got 1 supercharge and now I have a dash warning saying no supercharger available, add payment to account. I've got 2 credit cards just BEGGING to be used and I'm 2 days into transfer of ownership limbo. No such luck. Now scrounging Bettendorf Iowa for a Tesla charger.

We sold a Model 3 last month and the ownership transfer only took a couple minutes from the time I started the transfer until it showed up in the buyer's account. This was at 7 am on a Saturday morning and entirely through the app. We didn't need to upload any documents, rename to car or do any additional steps. In our case, we entered the buyer's info into the app, received an automated confirmation code from Tesla, entered the confirmation code (in seller's app) and the car was removed from our account. The buyer then logged in and confirmed things and the car was added to his account.

I guess there can be a delay if you are going through a reseller and the original seller never removed the car from their account. Then they probably have to handle things like they did years ago and manually review the bill of sale, etc.

Yup - That is my situation. I uploaded paperwork Monday morning. 3-5 days seems vey long. Right now I don't have Supercharging and not yet installed Level 2 charging at the house. So, I am limited on options!