Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot nags get worse and worse. Wish I had never updated from the day I bought it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Each update seems to just make it pickier and pickier. Started out when I got the car some people could still use the autopilot buddies and stuff. Which yes I agree they shouldn't be used. But now over the last 1.5 years since I got it it just gets more annoying with each update. Now it makes you keep your hand on the wheel as soon as you engage instead of giving you a set time before it disables it. Tonight I hadn't even driven all that far and it flashed red it was disabled the rest of the drive. I get home and it says "autosteer beta warning"(don't ever remember seeing autosteer being called beta before) and it says autopilot will no longer operate if it disables 4 more times. I'm not driving the car any different than I have the last 1.5 years until these last 2-3 updates it seems super picky about nagging. Was annoying enough on the way home the other day I just shut if off and drove.

Jealous of all of you who got to use the weights for years and years to now the garbage we have and a car thats worth half what it was. sigh....

It's been labeled as beta at least since I got my car in 2020, and I'm fairly certain it's always been labeled that way.

The software updates that make it more naggy are because of people circumventing it with those weights you're talking about. If you want to be mad about it, be mad at them. There are specific rules for using that technology, that have always been there, and people breaking those rules ruined it for everyone.

It's been labeled as beta at least since I got my car in 2020, and I'm fairly certain it's always been labeled that way.

The software updates that make it more naggy are because of people circumventing it with those weights you're talking about. If you want to be mad about it, be mad at them. There are specific rules for using that technology, that have always been there, and people breaking those rules ruined it for everyone.
I thought FSD was listed as beta but not autopilot but I could be wrong.

the weight detection has been in place for over a year. these last coupe updates are atrocious its funny they claim autopilot is much safer than human driving and I don't disagree with that but they are making it have more and more human intervention.

What version are you using? I've never gotten a 5 strike timeout. Are you in some real "beta", not just the normal "beta"? I'm on 44.30.8 and my Autopilot nags are spaced about 30-40secs apart. I just timed one, yesterday. Hasn't really changed for me.

Honestly, the only change I have seen with the changes is the message location (which I like a little better). Otherwise, it is the same as it has always been (at least since August 2019 when I first got the car).

...my Autopilot nags are spaced about 30-40secs apart.
I think the frequency has to do with the speed you are driving: the faster you go, the more frequent you get them. When I took a road trip last year and had AP set to 80-85 MPH, they came much more frequently than when set to 70 MPH. It's not a function of distance - the frequency does not have parity with distance.

Though I haven't done any empirical testing.

• Informative
Reactions: PianoAl and KenC
I can't tell any real difference except in the first few seconds of engagement. If you don't have some force applied to the wheel and if your eyes aren't on the road it will nag. After that smooth sailing. If anything, it feels like the interval of time you can have your hands off the wheel has been lengthened a bit. It does seem to false a bit more for "emergency lights detected".

Autopilot, not FSD or FSD beta is what I’m answering to here.

Yes, it much more sensitive now, it doesn’t allow me to scratch my nose without giving a warning now.
I know Tesla was responding to government regulators, but this went too far to the safer side.

Yes, it much more sensitive now, it doesn’t allow me to scratch my nose without giving a warning now.
I know Tesla was responding to government regulators, but this went too far to the safer side.

I am a heavy user of AP - easily 80-90% of the 19K miles I do a year. The differences to me have been negligible and the only times it is "worse" is when I am doing something I am not supposed to be doing (like looking at my phone while driving). I keep at least one hand on the wheel at all times and satisfy the nag (often before a reminder is given) mostly with a click of a thumbwheel, changing lanes (with EAP) or lately by pushing in the button at the end of the left stalk for a single wipe.

My theory is the people who had tricks for getting away with things they weren't supposed to be doing are finding those tricks no longer work (such as a sandbag on the steering wheel) and the loudest complainers. YMMV.

Reactions: TRWhit
Just place a small piece of black electrical tape over the cabin camera. You can't even see it and your system will act more like it used to. I've had tape on mine for a couple of years and have only noticed the initial warning (first second of the drive). After that, there has been no difference for me, at least.