Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transmission lever doesn't work sometimes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

talkingevs

GO AVS! 2022 CHAMPS!
Jan 28, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
I've had my car just 1 day under a month and have had this issue 2 different times now. So its not happening that often but it is slightly annoying. I get in like normal, put my foot on the brake and everything comes on. I then push the lever down to go to drive, and nothing. It happened about 2 weeks ago, and then again yesterday on my road trip to Utah. I have to shut the car off using the 'power off' button and when it restarts it works.

Mine used to do that on occasion with an earlier software build. I found I can get it in gear by tapping the card key on the console, even if the message didn't pop up. I've never done a hard restart on my car like that... I usually just reboot the main computer with the steering wheel controls.

I had it happen a couple times too, but I lump it under the same incident. Car was having issues staying connected to my phone. Ended up having to use my card to drive for a day. Mysteriously corrected itself by the next day.

This happened to me may times. Based on my own reflection, it most likely happened when I tried to get in and drive too quickly, which resulted in me clicking on the gear shift a fraction of second before I press on the brake pedal. The easiest solution I found is to open the door for a second or two, close it, then try to drive again.

This happened to me may times. Based on my own reflection, it most likely happened when I tried to get in and drive too quickly, which resulted in me clicking on the gear shift a fraction of second before I press on the brake pedal. The easiest solution I found is to open the door for a second or two, close it, then try to drive again.

LOL, I'm not counting the times when I get in and try to drive off too fast. That happens pretty much every day. Waiting two seconds is just too odd for my body if I'm in a rush.

It's one reason why I just bought an ICE BMW a few days ago. It recognizes which driver is there based on the key, and it recognizes it instantly. Starts up as soon as I hit the start button as well. No delay. If the Germans can handle that bit of software, there's no reason a tech company like Tesla can't get it right (or better actually).