Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transport Evolved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is almost like saying that EV folks (not only the purists) are too stubborn to even consider buying anything else.

The above argument assumes that EVs are not capable of long trips at all. While it is quite true for the Leaf given the lack of DC infrastructure and its limited range, it is not true for the Model S, which, as you know, already accepts reservations that are of value to Tesla. Buyers will indeed be able to choose between Volt, Converj, and Model S, and will be weighing gas-charging against the possibility of DC fast charging in many cases, even if not in all.

So to me the above analysis is not only wrong, but also trashing "purists".

I wasn’t “trashing” purists, only explaining why from my perspective, the sentiment may backfire in ways they don’t intend. I didn’t say that it’s not worth educating a PHEV intender about EVs, or that it’s impossible to convert someone. But I also hear PHEVs talked about in ways that suggest that if you’re not going to get an EV, you might as well not bother- the implied point Nissan made by using the Volt in their ad.

I also agree that we’ll have more flexibility when there are more options of both EVs and PHEVs. But I was speaking to the current product offerings, and about people who are in the market now.

And yes, a lot of consumers of all types are stubborn.

For someone with a short commute, who thinks they may need a Volt or Ampera because they sometimes need to drive further, have they fully considered the alternative of using a rental car when they need to leave town?

Obviously there are a lot of variables in here, such as frequency and length of longer trips. If it’s 2 or 3 long road trips per year, the rental makes more sense. If it’s mostly commuting but a 150-mile trip every week or two, the inconvenience factor starts to weigh in.

At the same time, it’s not been my experience that EV buyers start with having one as their only car, at least not those in the ~100 mile category. Many end up that way, but most keep at least one gas car around for a while. They’re not dragging it around all the time, but I don’t think the reasoning is all that different. There’s educational opportunities with both groups.

I’ve talked to several companies about offering some number of rental coupons with the EV, or a car sharing membership. It may not be a huge financial incentive, but psychologically it helps link the idea that choosing an EV does not mean you can never go further, or that buying a small EV means you can never use a big car on the one day you need it. (And I know that infrastructure can facilitate some longer trips, but this “fear” isn’t necessarily based on logic.)

So, I gather evchels is being the voice of a larger group who sees this as an interesting thread, but isn't willing or able to chime in themselves... (?)

Not at all. Am speaking only for myself on this forum. I simply mentioned the sentiment I got in email form because it happened to be pertinent to the conversation at that moment.

As much as evchels does a great job being both a semi-insider as well as being a "voice of the regular folk" there does come across a slight bit of condescension which I assume comes from knowing a lot more about what is really happening behind the scenes that us "amateurs" can only speculate about. Tough gig.

I’ve never meant to sound condescending, especially since I’m never one of the sharpest tacks in any group of EV fans. :) And I don’t assume I know much more of anything behind the scenes than anyone here. There are lots of people who are better connected than I am.

However, I have perceived (perhaps mistakenly) something of a double-standard in the suggestion that because I have a different pov than some here, mine is based in whatever part on kool-aid or bias, while theirs is just a valid opinion. That because I worked for a company nearly twenty years ago and left ten years ago, I am inherently compromised, even today. I also read back in the thread when I first got here and saw where I was referred to as “GM’s unpaid marketing staff” simply for liking the Volt, and PIA was called out because I was not adequately supportive of a long-distance EV road trip, enough that even PIA felt the need to clarify that they can't be held responsible for what I say. One of the first questions I answered was “Does Chelsea really not understand why GM got such criticism for claiming to build an EV that was actually a plug in hybrid?” As if I’m just too dense, or my glasses too rosy to see what everyone else obviously can. And so on. But heck, if I'm gonna be a shill even without working for them, I'm starting to think I oughtta send those boys a bill for my marketing efforts. :)

I initially took it as a good sport and tried to play along, even teasing back. But especially over the last several days as the same company has been trying to publicly discredit me elsewhere, I’m sure more weariness of the attitude bled through than I intended.

I have to admit I've sensed a bit of what I'd consider oversensitivity from you in this discussion which surprises me considering how long you've been in this game. Earlier you mentioned shots being taken at you before you joined the discussion, yet I couldn't find any. :

I apologize. It struck me as nit-picky at the time that someone would go track down the exact date I first used a word, then use it to correct me on a point I wasn’t trying to make. And I have a sarcastic streak that occasionally take over the mic in those circumstances, referencing the earlier kool-aid bit.

And in general, what I have said has been misunderstood more times in the course of this thread than any other forum I’ve participated in, so I have started to feel like I have to be really, really careful, lest something come across that wasn’t intended.

Yeah, I thought same. I was tempted to say "don't take is so personally", but thought that wouldn't help.
I was pondering various things like:

• More vested interest in this topic... More 'skin in the game', so to speak.
  • Longer history in this area - should have some laurels and respect to rest upon, but us 'know it alls' question everything.
  • Unlike most of us, views this whole topic as tired rehash since it has already been discussed among insiders before we started blabbing about it.
  • Wishing some associates would step in and help state the points and counterpoints, but stuck "bearing the torch" single-handedly.

Nah, none of the above. I wouldn’t say that I have any more skin in the game than anyone here. We all want the same basic goal, and if you guys didn’t have as much passion as I do, we wouldn’t disagree. Don’t expect any particular credit or respect for experience, and I wouldn’t have jumped in if I wanted to avoid questions. Don’t see any of this as rehashing even if some has occurred elsewhere (though not nearly enough of this type of conversation occurs among the industry folk either.) And I’ve promoted hashing, as I’ve asked several times for suggestions on how these vehicles might better be discussed. But I do give as good as I get- don't mind being challenged, disagreed with, teased, or sarcasm, etc.- as long as you guys don't mind expecting the same in return.

And as the Friday post re AB475 probably showed, I’m accustomed to being a solo act. :)

Think I’ve hit the high points of the last few days; let me know if I missed anything...

It struck me as nit-picky at the time that someone would go track down the exact date I first used a word, then use it to correct me on a point I wasn’t trying to make.

Ummph. I was tracking down my own use of the term "pure EV", which we've been discussing extensively. I remembered using it at the beginning of the conversation, and wanted to see when I started using it. Turned out you were the first to use "pure EV". I kept searching for my own first use of the term, and was surprised to find, by coincidence, that you also were the first who used the longer term "pure EV mode". Since you sounded as if you were thinking that the term came from others, and as if you thought to be kind-of-hesitantly agreeing to someone else's suggestion, I just wanted to mention that it was your own term. That's all there was to it. (I added the date in case you were interested in looking that up.)

Last edited:
I wasn’t “trashing” purists, only explaining why from my perspective, the sentiment may backfire in ways they don’t intend. I didn’t say that it’s not worth educating a PHEV intender about EVs, or that it’s impossible to convert someone. But I also hear PHEVs talked about in ways that suggest that if you’re not going to get an EV, you might as well not bother- the implied point Nissan made by using the Volt in their ad.

I also agree that we’ll have more flexibility when there are more options of both EVs and PHEVs. But I was speaking to the current product offerings, and about people who are in the market now.

And yes, a lot of consumers of all types are stubborn.

When I said your analysis is trashing purists, I was mostly (but not only) referring to this sentence:

And so all the purists that are sitting there trashing all the plug-in hybrids are just going to convince those new potential plug-in hybrid people that plug-in hybrids are not good enough and they’re going to send them to buy another gas car.

First of all, let me be clear that I took "trashing" from the vocabulary you've been using regarding those who you call "purists".

As far as I can tell, you are referring to pure-EV advocates who think that a Volt isn't good enough to be of much help. Personally, I do think that a dollar going to a project developing long-range EVs, is worth about 10 times as much as a dollar going to a PHEV project.

Since causing people to buy another gas car is probably one of the worst things one would accuse an EV advocate of, I think what you said about "purists" justifies the term as much (or as little) as the reasons you gave for using the term on purists.

I noticed their charge port is designed differently (compared to the Volt). Is it possible that they are actually speaking the truth (as it applies to the Ampera) when they say the car is always driven by the electric motor (rather than the gas engine as it does in the Volt in certain (rare?) circumstances) because of a design difference ? Or are they just repeating the same GM *Q&^A*! we've heard here in the US a year or so ago ?

(Notice also they say 3 hour charge not 4 hours. Since EU is also 230/240, and I doubt they exceed 16A, is that another difference? Or more uninformed or marketing speak or (cough) lies ?)

My understanding is that the Voltec powertrain is the same in both the US Volt and the Ampera, and in the UK version of the Volt. I don't know if there is going to be an EU version of the Volt.

The Wikipedia article on the Voltec powertrain and Opel Ampera seems to be somewhat confused, not to mention a little out of date. Maybe that's where GM's marketing people get their info.

Since you sounded as if you were thinking that the term came from others, and as if you thought to be kind-of-hesitantly agreeing to someone else's suggestion, I just wanted to mention that it was your own term. That's all there was to it.

I know that now. It really was just a misunderstanding- but since it snowballed some into speculations about my sensitivity, I was just trying to explain my reaction based on what “seemed to me at the time.” Other(s) said that the “mode” modifier to “EV” was more acceptable (I can track that down if it’s useful), and that was what I was referencing- so your comment seemed odd to me. I also tried to include information in the rest of my answer about where I was coming from in general w/r/t sensitivity. Again, I am sorry.

Look guys, if I were really that sensitive, I wouldn’t keep coming back for however many pages it’s been. But EV advocates are human too. :) I’m just not sure what else to do on this one...

First of all, let me be clear that I took "trashing" from the vocabulary you've been using regarding those who you call "purists".

I see. I answered only to in reference to the quote that Bud actually posted; I didn’t go back to the episode to see what else was also said.

As far as I can tell, you are referring to pure-EV advocates who think that a Volt isn't good enough to be of much help. Personally, I do think that a dollar going to a project developing long-range EVs, is worth about 10 times as much as a dollar going to a PHEV project.

I understand. But in any group, including the pure EV advocates, there are some whose views and statements are more extreme than others. There are purists who do trash PHEVs, and the Volt in particular, going well beyond saying that it’s not good enough. (Although I think that even that sentiment isn't the most effective for advocacy purposes, especially without elaboration.) But I didn’t say that all purists trash the Volt, I referred to those who do. I have been told that the Volt “sucks” just because GM made it many times. Or that it is no better than any other gas car. And senveral other unfairly derogatory sentiments that aren’t based on the merits of the car itself. And they are entitled to those views, but I’m not out of line to point out how, in my own opinion only, they can be counterproductive in the bigger picture. I don’t think I was trashing all purists by doing so, but you may disagree.

In some ways, it’s unfortunate that the first PHEV to launch came from GM, especially since it’s the most electrified one coming (that we know of) in the <$50k range. I believe that many- but certainly not all- would be more open to it if it had any other badge on it, even without the marketing adding insult to injury.

I noticed their charge port is designed differently (compared to the Volt).

The European connector standard is different than ours. I don’t know of anything different in the drivetrain configuration between Volt and Ampera.

A first time poster that has some registration issues we're working out had this contribution:

VolkerP said:
What if we divide the car cost of every car marketed as an EV by the "100% pure electric drive mode" range?
Fisker Karma: $2k per mile
GM Volt: $1k per mile
Roadster: $450 per mile
Model S Base: $315 per mile
Model S-300: $233 per mile

You get the idea? The "purer" the cheaper an electric mile!
People that cannot tell PHEV from EREV from EVER still can make an educated judgment on money.

yours,
Volker

I still like the idea of the % number for % of miles projected to be from electricity as compared to from an alternative power source.
So anything that doesn't plug in is a 0% EV (all the miles came from on-board gas either directly or indirectly), and all the non-range extended electric vehicles (including NEVs) would get 100%.
But then the all-electric-range number would also be taken into consideration.
So a Roadster would be like 100%, 220AER,
A Volt maybe 60%, 40AER,
Leaf 100%, 100AER,
Plug-in Prius maybe 30%, 20AER?

Personally, I don't mind that a NEV could get 100%. It wouldn't take long for someone to notice the range and top speed to differentiate it.

I suppose you could combine the two:

Volt: 95%PHEV35
Prius: 60%PHEV15
Tesla Roadster: 100%EV245
NEV: 100%EV20
Oops. Great minds...

In mine, the percentage refers to how much that supposed "all electric range" is actually electric.

In some ways, it’s unfortunate that the first PHEV to launch came from GM, especially since it’s the most electrified one coming (that we know of) in the <$50k range. I believe that many- but certainly not all- would be more open to it if it had any other badge on it, even without the marketing adding insult to injury.
+1

IMHO, they ought to have gone "full 100% BEV" first if they were trying to say that they made a mistake by ending the EV1, and they are ready to return.
As it is, the message (even without the somewhat heavy handed added marketing fluff) comes across as "100% BEVs aren't what people need, they still need a gas engine."
There is a good place in the market for vehicles like the Volt / Ampera, but I don't think they are worthy of being the "halo" models that the 100% BEV ZEVs represent.
Tesla still has a big "leg up" on GM in that regard.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't mind that a NEV could get 100%. It wouldn't take long for someone to notice the range and top speed to differentiate it.

I agree with this. The 0-60 and top end MPH (and range) already serve this function. Those kind of numbers would all be considered by a buyer along with a car's styling and comfort. We should limit these type designations to only differentiate how much gasoline is burned or not.

I noticed their charge port is designed differently (compared to the Volt).
The European connector standard is different than ours. I don’t know of anything different in the drivetrain configuration between Volt and Ampera.
Look more carefully at the video markwj posted (above post #424): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka9A1mgO_rY

At 1:23 the chargeport is demonstrated; completely different from Volt here in US.

In terms of drivetrain differences (Mountain Mode, etc): there could be firmware differences (or additions) that change how the wheels are driven, but it's less than likely. But Nik has a good point: :rolleyes:
The Wikipedia article on the Voltec powertrain and Opel Ampera seems to be somewhat confused, not to mention a little out of date. Maybe that's where GM's marketing people get their info.

There are purists who do trash PHEVs, and the Volt in particular, going well beyond saying that it’s not good enough. (Although I think that even that sentiment isn't the most effective for advocacy purposes, especially without elaboration.) But I didn’t say that all purists trash the Volt, I referred to those who do. I have been told that the Volt “sucks” just because GM made it many times. Or that it is no better than any other gas car. And senveral other unfairly derogatory sentiments that aren’t based on the merits of the car itself.

Well that has certainly been the case here and on other threads on this site. If anyone dared to state the benefits of PHEVs in general or the Volt in particular, they were soundly accused of going over to dark side and of course the Kool-aid pitcher was brought out for display of their obvious situation.

I have long ago given up on the idea of trying to reason with these superior minds because I am only a regular person whose belief has always been that electric miles are the most important thing in heading to energy independence. If some people choose to carry an ICE generator with then for occasional use and others carry an equivalent amount of extra batteries so be it, freedom of choice is a good thing!

I am personally looking forward to taking delivery of a PHEV50 so I can finally get rid of the Lexus hybrid taking up space in my garage. It sits unused and rejected for something like 345 days out of a year because it is unable to get out of my drive without burning gas. The vehicle replacing it will be a daily use EV but will also allow me to take those occasional longer trips to a cabin in the WV mountains, etc.

I have come to the conclusion that at least for those living in CA, we just have to let them believe that every state will be like theirs and magically have all kinds of charging opportunities by next year. They just can't imagine entire states with no public charge points.

I wish you the best in your endeavors in spreading the EV word in a much greater way and we will continue to show our various EVs both "pure" and not so pure at events here in PA.

Last edited:
In some ways, it’s unfortunate that the first PHEV to launch came from GM, especially since it’s the most electrified one coming (that we know of) in the <$50k range. I believe that many- but certainly not all- would be more open to it if it had any other badge on it, even without the marketing adding insult to injury....

Sad part is that a car like that comes from asking consumers what they want. Their first EV was kinda forced on them so they still have never jumped in the pool (of kool-aid). Carlos wins the first round in the majors.

Well that has certainly been the case here and on other threads on this site. If anyone dared to state the benefits of PHEVs in general or the Volt in particular, they were soundly accused of going over to dark side and of course the Kool-aid pitcher was brought out for display of their obvious situation.
As I've often said I think the Volt is a reasonable choice for many at this point. What is not reasonable are the efforts to pretend it's an EV.
I have come to the conclusion that at least for those living in CA, we just have to let them believe that every state will be like theirs and magically have all kinds of charging opportunities by next year. They just can't imagine entire states with no public charge points.
There are no public charge points here in central NY that I'm aware of, certainly nothing within range, so I can imagine it quite well. Again, I don't have a real problem with anyone buying a PHEV, just don't pretend that it's an EV. It only adds to the confusion.