Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transportation to Pickup New 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey group

I have been caught in the middle of the announcement that they are closing stores etc and so far I can tell you it must be having an impact on employee service because I have been pulling teeth to get any info or updates.

Anyway. I got a text that my Model 3 is ready earlier than expected. Yay.

I am in Michigan and need to go to Cleveland to pick up. I was told that Tesla would arrange transportation for me to get down there. I am assuming a rental car from enterprise or something.

Has anyone done this ? How died it work ? Do I rent a car and get reimbursed?

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

Mike in Michigan

I may be wrong, but I always assumed people in these out-of-state situations had to provide their own transportation to the pick-up location. Also, be sure the car is physically there (have someone there verify the VIN is on the lot) before you embark on your trip. There have been instances where people have been contacted at the last minute and told that their cars didn't show up as expected and they had to reschedule (not just for out-of-state purchases).

Reactions: Dana1
When I picked up my car in Cleveland from Michigan they offered to pay for a rental car from Enterprise. That was November 2018. I did not take them up on the offer since I had a buddy that wanted to drive me there in his M3. We had fun both directions.

Congrats on getting the car early.

How far away are they offering transportation to the Service Center?

I'm 700km away, and they plan on shipping it to me on a flatbed. I had considered flying to pick it up, but don't want the expense of a (probably) last-minute ticket. But I would think them paying for a ticket would be cheaper than them paying for a flatbed. I haven't asked them yet, as I'm still waiting on a VIN.

So here is an update. There is definitely a little inconvenience with the whole closing of stores etc as my dedicated delivery contact was let go on Wednesday this week. I left some messages and emails and finally called Friday morning and the line was shut down.
I reached out to my sales contacts and he just gave me another number to call. Not overly helpful.

I got a text in Friday saying my car was ready for delivery on Sunday .. tomorrow and I had to scramble to arrange for a car assuming Inwill just pay for it myself. I spoke to a delivery person in Cleveland to make sure my car was actually there before I did all this. However he said he would have someone get back to me .. i explained my urgency in that it was Saturday morning and the car rental place closes at noon.

He said he would do what he could to find out and call Back.

I after waiting for about an hour I figured I would go rent the car and hope it all works out.

Just as I was walking in the door of enterprise I gotta call from Tesla Cleveland. I told the guy I was getting ready to rent a car. He asked where from exactly. I told him and while on the phone he confirmed he has reserved a car for me at that location and it was all on Tesla. He said I am ready to go and would see me tomorrow for delivery at 1. He said though I should expect a wait as there were like 20 deliveries schedules at 1 and if I could get there earlier it would be better. I said how about 11. He said great.

Long story. Instead of waking up early for a 3.5 hour drive there. Pick it up and 3.5 hour back. I am headed there tonight. Will stay at a hotel and go in the morning no rush.

Decided to “treat” myself to this experience and really try to enjoy it.

Off I go.

So here is an update. There is definitely a little inconvenience with the whole closing of stores etc as my dedicated delivery contact was let go on Wednesday this week. I left some messages and emails and finally called Friday morning and the line was shut down.
I reached out to my sales contacts and he just gave me another number to call. Not overly helpful.

I got a text in Friday saying my car was ready for delivery on Sunday .. tomorrow and I had to scramble to arrange for a car assuming Inwill just pay for it myself. I spoke to a delivery person in Cleveland to make sure my car was actually there before I did all this. However he said he would have someone get back to me .. i explained my urgency in that it was Saturday morning and the car rental place closes at noon.

He said he would do what he could to find out and call Back.

I after waiting for about an hour I figured I would go rent the car and hope it all works out.

Just as I was walking in the door of enterprise I gotta call from Tesla Cleveland. I told the guy I was getting ready to rent a car. He asked where from exactly. I told him and while on the phone he confirmed he has reserved a car for me at that location and it was all on Tesla. He said I am ready to go and would see me tomorrow for delivery at 1. He said though I should expect a wait as there were like 20 deliveries schedules at 1 and if I could get there earlier it would be better. I said how about 11. He said great.

Long story. Instead of waking up early for a 3.5 hour drive there. Pick it up and 3.5 hour back. I am headed there tonight. Will stay at a hotel and go in the morning no rush.

Decided to “treat” myself to this experience and really try to enjoy it.

Off I go.

I remember the night before picking up my TM3-- just painful tossing and turning and watching time slow to a crawl.... enjoy your sleepless night ;)