Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Travel cooler/fridge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought two rubber doorstop wedges at Home Depot and placed them under the edge of the sub-trunk lid to prop it up a bit and let more air circulate. Works perfectly that way. View attachment 1057436
I thought about that but it puts an un-level situation and the door stop only has a small part that is tangent or touches the top......what I did was take a piece of think styrofoam (2.5" wide and ¾" high) and cut 8 pieces ¾" thick....placed 2 on each side and 2 on the back rail and 2 on the front.....It allowed the top to sit up and even all the way around.....sits flat......this works very well.....

when I did this, the temp in the cooler was 35F and had been stable for 3 hrs....when temp would go to 35F, the compressor would turn on and temp would lower back to 32F.....there appears to be a 3-4 degree F difference between set temp and compressor turn on.....some of my other units turn off at set and goes 4-5 degree F above set temp before the compressor turns on and runs until 3-5 degrees F below set temp

I am comfortable with this unit now because I have figured out the particular operating limits of this unit and know what to expect......now if I am going on a trip or somewhere where I need this unit on to cool food and drinks, I can calculate when I need to start it up and when I should load it up with food and drink.....at some point in time, will want to figure out if it will keep ice cream frozen.....I hopefully will be able to lower the range to insure the set temp keeps temp below 25F......

I bought two rubber doorstop wedges at Home Depot and placed them under the edge of the sub-trunk lid to prop it up a bit and let more air circulate. Works perfectly that way. View attachment 1057436
I'll see your doorstops and raise you Jenga blocks with Velcro.

jenga-blocks-2.jpg

well here's one for the cooler lovers......I called ACO Power today and had questions about 2 things: H/M/L and why I was continuously getting the F-2 error code.....I know what the H,M,L is but just wanted to make sure they did too......I was told not to worry about them becasue Tesla has a great battery management system and the cooler would never drain the cars 12v battery becasue the BMS will shut down all non-essential power.....

the next explanation puzzled me somewhat.....the tech told me the F-2 error code was caused from over-temp of the compressor which was understandable....but I had the voltage protection set at H, re-booted and it failed again within 3 min...re-set set to M...Same thing happened.....Then tried L mode and same thing....each time I waited 5+ miuntes before trying again....Now keep in mind the MAX mode.....He said that I should try again, by starting off in the MAX mode and L voltage protection....He also said not to use the ECO mode because it is a fixed temp and wont work.....WOW ! I then asked why have a ECO mode if it doesn't work and there is nothing in the manual that states what he just told me...

So, I started up the Model 3 unit in the MAX mode and L voltage protection.....Unit started up and ran fine....Same with the Model Y unit....I did find out that when either car goes to sleep, all power is cut off from both the console outlet and the rear outlet in the Model Y.....He told me just to keep car in Camp mode and normal temp (75F) and low fan and I will have continuous power to both sockets.....He stated not to worry because the power consumption is 0.5w.......with all this know now I will try and see if thing work the way I want....

the one thing I just cant get my hands around is the ECO mode causing the F-2 error code and being told not to use it......I also got a F-4 error this weekend while driving to Blythe, Ca.....It was 73F inside car....But around the unit in the Model Y, everything was very hot.....that is why I put the styrofoam pieces and have had no problem since......the plastic topper in the Model 3 gives some relief but the unit fits very very tight in sub-trunk in the Model 3....I will use same inserts as the "Y"......

Sorry for being long winded, but wanted to share my experience and conversation with ACO Power.....they were helpful and said if I had any more issues to let them know and I could have a new unit sent.....