Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Travel cooler/fridge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone found a decent cooler style fridge (not the tiny little rear console one - way too small). Soon after we (hope) to get our MYLR, we will leave AZ for ME for the summer and want to have a fridge option that can run DC with a low draw in the car but also go AC in a hotel/bnb at night. Kind of like this one on Amazon, but until I have my MYLR, don't dare to order without measuring the rear seat area floor dimensions. I am tall and would likely have driver's seat all the way back. Any real life experience with one appreciated... what you do and don't like about it. Thanks.

With the front seat all the way back there's only about 8" left between the back of the front seat and the front of the back seats. OTOH with the seat all the way back there is 43" from the brake pedal to the "vertical" part of the seat.

While much roomier than the Model 3, making optimal use of space in a Y takes some trial and error. If you have the time you might want to take a few day trips where you fit it out as if you plan to go cross country. This may be more important if you plan to sleep in the car.

I realize you want an electric cooler, and for good reason. I went with the passive Igloo Reactor 30 Can Cooler that was recommended here:

Bryan Hauer from YouTube uses the ICECO GO20 Dual Zone Portable Refrigerator which is similar to the one you linked to. He combines it with a Jackery 1500 to leave it on overnight in the car when he camps. He keeps it on top of the folded down rear seat so it's accessible from the rear door.

Reactions: Mainuh
Reactions: Mainuh
Summer approaching and I also plan to take my family on a road trip. I wanted something reliable and didn't emits tons of heat from the rear. My friend recommended dobinson 40 liter fridge. He had it for 5 years on his jeep wk2 with no issues. I ordered it on Amazon.

Should be here early next week. I'll post more details when it arrives. I plan to put this in the middle row between the two seats. Anyone know how to run the power line to middle seat. I have 2022 model x.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fridges look cool, but I wonder if a Yeti cooler with ice packs might be a less expensive and more portable alternative?
The problem with ice is that it melts and makes everything soggy. The water needs to be dumped and new ice every few days.
A fridge just keeps things cold continuously.
My fridge is powered by a small (10 pound) portable battery pack ("solar generator") so is very portable. I keep it charged from the car or hotel room. It will easily power the fridge overnight.

Reactions: CleanDemon
Has anyone found a decent cooler style fridge (not the tiny little rear console one - way too small). Soon after we (hope) to get our MYLR, we will leave AZ for ME for the summer and want to have a fridge option that can run DC with a low draw in the car but also go AC in a hotel/bnb at night. Kind of like this one on Amazon, but until I have my MYLR, don't dare to order without measuring the rear seat area floor dimensions. I am tall and would likely have driver's seat all the way back. Any real life experience with one appreciated... what you do and don't like about it. Thanks.
I just ordered the Phantom 30L portable electric cooler at Costco for $189 and it fits like it was made for the MYLR 2023 5 seat sub trunk. It has both a 12v plug for the trunk that pulls 45 w per hour (1kW) max per day. You can also use AC at a hotel/Airbnb w/ a second cord they provide. I’ll be using the AC cord to precool it before road-trips / sports tournaments for the kids / camping.

Compared to the Yeti Tundra 45 recommended on other threads, this has the same 32L capacity and 23 pound weight, but is less than half the price of the $400 non-electric Yeti.

The lid will also close completely flat with clearance for air circulation. I think on hot days we may crack the lid just to prevent overheating.
It’s pretty quiet so we won’t be able to hear it over the road noise.

I haven’t taken this on a long road trip, but as far as fit, design, function, and price I have yet to find a better electric cooler solution.

Attachments

• 36EC2C38-65CB-4928-A91D-9CA9015A2CA9.jpeg
    36EC2C38-65CB-4928-A91D-9CA9015A2CA9.jpeg
    398.2 KB · Views: 818
  • E8FD055D-9D62-4117-BF6C-254ADCFBDB22.jpeg
    E8FD055D-9D62-4117-BF6C-254ADCFBDB22.jpeg
    444.3 KB · Views: 218
  • 485A55B7-0B44-48A2-B57F-53AEDF996494.jpeg
    485A55B7-0B44-48A2-B57F-53AEDF996494.jpeg
    400 KB · Views: 215
  • 1281093A-EDE8-4461-AD85-889AB2DC6569.jpeg
    1281093A-EDE8-4461-AD85-889AB2DC6569.jpeg
    32.2 KB · Views: 204
I just ordered the Phantom 30L portable electric cooler at Costco for $189 and it fits like it was made for the MYLR 2023 5 seat sub trunk. It has both a 12v plug for the trunk that pulls 45 w per hour (1kW) max per day. You can also use AC at a hotel/Airbnb w/ a second cord they provide. I’ll be using the AC cord to precool it before road-trips / sports tournaments for the kids / camping.

Compared to the Yeti Tundra 45 recommended on other threads, this has the same 32L capacity and 23 pound weight, but is less than half the price of the $400 non-electric Yeti.

The lid will also close completely flat with clearance for air circulation. I think on hot days we may crack the lid just to prevent overheating.
It’s pretty quiet so we won’t be able to hear it over the road noise.

I haven’t taken this on a long road trip, but as far as fit, design, function, and price I have yet to find a better electric cooler solution.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been waffling on whether I really "need" something like this but during my waffling it seems to have gone out of stock.

Anyone look into something like this? I'm thinking of ordering it to try it out. Would work perfectly for trips where we need to keep our daughter's formula and milk cool/cold

Reactions: JaeTheDev
There was a youtube video posted on here (link below), but I think the unit was supplied by the vendor to the person who posted the video.

Reactions: JaeTheDev