Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traveling I-40 across AZ an NM, tips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched a little more in the Indio Supercharger thread on TMC, and I finally found a reference to the 8 V2 stalls + 2 urban posts on the end, with pictures. This matches my recollection from when I was there a couple of months ago. (Sorry I didn't get more recents pics.)

These aren't going to be an issue. The middle of the country (that's not California) just doesn't have those issues with full stations and lines of cars. I've been to over 60 sites across 30-some states, and I never even saw a full station until the one time I did a trip down into the Los Angeles area, where I did have to wait for a few minutes to get a spot.

I have hit full stations in Southern Nevada... Vegas Blvd, Primm, Vegas Bridger, Vegas Tivoli... and in AZ, Cordes Lakes, Agua Fria, Cambelback, and Scottsdale Commons. Once at White River, AZ it was not full when I got there, but full when I left. In Utah, the Salt Lake supercharger at the Tesla showroom. Definitely within the metros, there are full superchargers... but outside of the metros, not really.

At chargers like Idaho Falls ID (2X visits) and Pocatello ID (3X visits), I've never even seen another Tesla... but it's been about 2 years since I've been up that way... things may be different now. I remember driving around in Richfield UT... and in a random neighborhood the kids were so excited to see a Tesla! may have been the first one they've seen.

I have hit full stations in Southern Nevada... Vegas Blvd, Primm, Vegas Bridger, Vegas Tivoli... and in AZ, Cordes Lakes, Agua Fria, Cambelback, and Scottsdale Commons. Once at White River, AZ it was not full when I got there, but full when I left. In Utah, the Salt Lake supercharger at the Tesla showroom. Definitely within the metros, there are full superchargers... but outside of the metros, not really.

At chargers like Idaho Falls ID (2X visits) and Pocatello ID (3X visits), I've never even seen another Tesla... but it's been about 2 years since I've been up that way... things may be different now. I remember driving around in Richfield UT... and in a random neighborhood the kids were so excited to see a Tesla! may have been the first one they've seen.
And I was at Nephi UT on a Thursday afternoon around 1:30 this past May. All eight were in use with three waiting (including me). The original St. George UT SC at the Starbucks was full up on a Saturday morning in early June around 9:00 in 2021 (most likely locals.)

The next day, Baker (40 v2) and Barstow (16 v2) were full or nearly so from 1:00 until 4:00 PM on a Friday.

Odd that you mention Idaho Superchargers. I was in Idaho a couple days before Nephi UT this past May. Tuesday morning the Twin Falls SC was half full--I even got the dread 80% warning for a "high usage Supercharger." Burley was vacant. Pocatello was about half full, and Idaho Falls was about 1/3 occupied.

I got the last opening at Tremonton UT at 9:00 AM on the same day I hit Nephi.

So, it appears that a combination of locals (even in less urbanized towns like St. George) and selected locations will have times of day whereby there will be very few openings or even waits. I think timing is becoming more critical with the explosion of Teslas on the roads.

• Informative
Reactions: tmoz
Agree, and I think this is happening at an accelerated pace. In the last 12-18 months, I have seen many older chargers go from not having to worry about sharing power to now worrying about waiting in line during higher usage times like Fri and Sun. In Scottsdale, I have seen the new 101/Shea supercharger close to full several times and it has only been open a couple of weeks.

well, just got back from my trip. Fortunately I never had to wait for a charger, though I did have to share power a few times and snagged one of the few remaining spots several times. It certainly appears vehicle production is greatly outpacing super charger instillations and waits will be more common.

Reactions: AudreyHTX1
I think the reports of our own experiences from around 2019-2020 are getting outdated some from how things are now in mid 2022. Continued production output is changing that and filling more of these, that were once pretty empty.

yes definitely... I remember in the 2019 every stop at a supercharger in ID, MT, norther UT was a conversation with another fellow Tesla owner since there were so few on the road then. Also being stopped numerous times by random people asking me about the car.