Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traveling I-40 across AZ an NM, tips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be making a road trip from CA to TX and back this July in my M3 RWD. According to ABRP, it looks like I will have to stop at every supercharger along I-40 in AZ and NM:
Kingman, Flagstaff, Holbrook, Gallup, Albuquerque, Santa Ross, and Tucumcari. Other than Albuquerque, it appears the only alternatives are L2 charging should a location be completely down.

Does anyone have experience with the supercharger locations along this route? Do they get busy? Times to avoid? Anyone ever encounter a supercharger location along interstate that was completely out of service?

Many thanks in advance.

Unless they're out of business by now, the one at Albuquerque is at an Applebee's that has $1 Long Island ice teas or some sort of blue drank. Both are super sugary but for a couple of bucks, not a bad way to pass the time if you plan to sleep in the car (which we do). If it's mid day and you plan to charge up and leave I'd probably recommend avoiding booze. 😁

Reactions: TexaCali
Tesla maintains their chargers well. I have never seen more than one or two down for repair, and that was out of 20 chargers. The way Tesla sets up chargers, there are always a bunch more chargers that are available. Just got back from AZ, and only needed to stop a couple times to charge on my way to San Francisco. You might need one more stop, but it's not a problem. Grab a bite to eat or a cuppa coffee, and the car is ready to go, and chargers are everywhere.

I've only ONCE in ten years found all chargers full at a charging site, and even then, it was only about 3 minutes until someone finished and pulled out. My wife and I both carry books on our phones, and we can easily enjoy the half hour of charging while we read, walk to a bathroom, or sightsee. Tesla even tells you in advance how many chargers you will find free when you survey the upcoming charge sites.

First, unless you plan on driving nonstop and/or sleeping in your car, I suggest spending the nights at motels that offer destination charging. This way, you leave in the morning with a full charge and can skip the first Supercharger in the morning. On the exact same route we spent the night in Flagstaff, left with 95+%, and easily made it to Gallup without stopping in Holbrook. Similarly, the next night we stayed in Tucumcari at the Blue Swallow Motel. We easily skipped both Amarillo and Shamrock and made it to Weatherford OK with about 12%.

We were driving a '14 S85 that had about 250 miles of range; more likely 220 miles of actual range.

As others said, the SCs are maintained adequately. With your car, you should have no problem getting the maximum rates if your battery is sufficiently low. Kingman, Holbrook, Gallup, and Albuquerque all have V3 charging, so you should be back on the road within 20 minutes, perhaps less. The V2 chargers will take about 8-10 minutes longer unless you are paired.

I wouldn't sweat unforeseen issues. I would keep an eye out on availability, however. I do not know the range in your particular car. But if you sense that one location always has some sort of wait, you might consider charging more than necessary in order to skip the one that might be busy when you arrive. For example, Albuquerque now has V3 Superchargers. A slightly longer charge there would enable you to skip Santa Rosa and reach Tucumcari, or perhaps even Amarillo (I don't know the distances off hand.) Both Santa Rosa and Tucumcari are V2 SC.

Guess I am saying that a 30-minute planning session at home before you leave might give you a couple of options for your trip without having to make decisions on the fly with only your cell phone and Tesla navigation at your avail.

Do they get busy? Times to avoid? Anyone ever encounter a supercharger location along interstate that was completely out of service?
These aren't going to be an issue. The middle of the country (that's not California) just doesn't have those issues with full stations and lines of cars. I've been to over 60 sites across 30-some states, and I never even saw a full station until the one time I did a trip down into the Los Angeles area, where I did have to wait for a few minutes to get a spot.

I did a trip in 2018 that involved driving this route, and when I charged at the Santa Rosa, NM site, I saw on the map that there was a Route 66 themed classic car museum just a few blocks down the road, so I walked down there and looked through it, and it was really amazing. So I might recommend checking that out while you're there.

I also have a 2014 S85, so I was stopping at about every Supercharger too.

I'll be making a road trip from CA to TX and back this July in my M3 RWD. According to ABRP, it looks like I will have to stop at every supercharger along I-40 in AZ and NM:
Kingman, Flagstaff, Holbrook, Gallup, Albuquerque, Santa Ross, and Tucumcari. Other than Albuquerque, it appears the only alternatives are L2 charging should a location be completely down.

Does anyone have experience with the supercharger locations along this route? Do they get busy? Times to avoid? Anyone ever encounter a supercharger location along interstate that was completely out of service?

Many thanks in advance.

I did that drive back in March of this year, on a trip from Los Angeles to Charlotte. I did stop at every city you mentioned. (This was before second Albuquerque location was open.) I didn't run into any problems on the Arizona-New Mexico stretch, not even a bad plug, let alone a whole site being off-line.

There are also two locations in Kingman, AZ, as well. The one closer to the interstate has older V2 (max 150kW) chargers. The new V3 (max 250kW) location is in the parking lot of a good Route 66 museum.

Awesome! Thanks everyone! I'm familiar with superchargers out here on the the west coast, but given that's where Tesla started building them, I didn't know how that translated across the southwest. Good to hear they are equally well maintained and the problem of waiting queues isn't widespread.

Thanks @Rocky_H and @vanjwilson for the tip on the route 66 museum! I had spotted it on the Plugshare app and was curious. I'll have to check it out.

I've been running lots of scenarios on ABRP and feel very confident about the trip, my only concern had been what if I encountered a location that was completely down. But looking at Plugshare, I should have no problem finding a J-1772 or 14-50 outlet where I can L2 for about 4 hours (and catch some rest), then still make the next location.

At this point we aren't sure if we are going to drive straight through (taking naps in the car), or stop in a hotel or 2 along the way (where we L2 overnight). Flexibility is the key here, and I've been charting out all sorts of options. I'll have an extra tablet in the car to easily check ABRP or Plugshare as needed, as well as a list with every lodging stop along the way that has L2 charging. Probably overprepared, but for me that's half the fun!

Reactions: Prairie
At this point we aren't sure if we are going to drive straight through (taking naps in the car), or stop in a hotel or 2 along the way (where we L2 overnight). Flexibility is the key here, and I've been charting out all sorts of options. I'll have an extra tablet in the car to easily check ABRP or Plugshare as needed, as well as a list with every lodging stop along the way that has L2 charging. Probably overprepared, but for me that's half the fun!

That is the key to happiness at this point in the EV game. Flexibility, and a Plan B. If you haven't already, get a ChargePoint card for their public chargers. I think you need to deposit $25 with them in order to use their network. Many of their locations are free to us; you can find out on their app which are free and which are fee. They are usually maintained quite well; just be sure to check PlugShare before committing.

Once you have a couple of these trips out and about under your belt, you will need less prior planning and can adapt or adjust as need be according to your driving style and preferences.

I have made many trips from Albuquerque to Las Vegas and Albuquerque to Oklahoma City. I have only had to wait once at Gallup, but this was before they expanded. You won't have any problem with queues at any of these chargers.

Also these chargers seem to be very well maintained. I haven't seen more than one or two chargers down at any given time.

For the Albuquerque to Oklahoma City trips I always charge at Tucumcari, Amarillo, and Weatherford. Tucumcari can be switched out with Santa Rosa as required.

For the Albuquerque to Las Vegas trips I always charge at Gallup, Flagstaff, and Kingman. The new V3 at Kingman is very nice.

Oh, Ya. We are driving a Model 3 LR Performance.

Several of these places also have CCS/CHAdeMO locations (mostly Electrify America). You shouldn't need it, but if you want to be extra prepared for contingencies, see if you can borrow a CHAdeMO adapter (or hope that Tesla releases their CCS adapter in North America before July). Have fun!

Several of these places also have CCS/CHAdeMO locations (mostly Electrify America). You shouldn't need it, but if you want to be extra prepared for contingencies, see if you can borrow a CHAdeMO adapter (or hope that Tesla releases their CCS adapter in North America before July). Have fun!
Yep, I did look into the CCS adapter. Looks like some folks in the US have successfully ordered it from Tesla in Korea...I haven't decided if I'll try that or not. I don't see the CHAdeMO adapter listed on Tesla's site anymore....just as well, probably not a good investment at this point.

Oh, and I did find a 3rd party CCS adapter, but it is $650 and maxes out at 50kW. Pretty lousy deal compared to the Tesla version.

...For the Albuquerque to Oklahoma City trips I always charge at Tucumcari, Amarillo, and Weatherford. Tucumcari can be switched out with Santa Rosa as required....
It's worth stopping at the Shamrock, TX, supercharger, just because it's in the parking lot of another Route 66 historic site, the Tower Station and U-Drop Inn Café.

P.S. Nice username/avatar. I was a huge Bloom County fan growing up.

I did that drive back in March of this year, on a trip from Los Angeles to Charlotte. I did stop at every city you mentioned. (This was before second Albuquerque location was open.) I didn't run into any problems on the Arizona-New Mexico stretch, not even a bad plug, let alone a whole site being off-line.

There are also two locations in Kingman, AZ, as well. The one closer to the interstate has older V2 (max 150kW) chargers. The new V3 (max 250kW) location is in the parking lot of a good Route 66 museum.

The Kingman Route 66 museum includes an electric car museum.

That is the key to happiness at this point in the EV game. Flexibility, and a Plan B. If you haven't already, get a ChargePoint card for their public chargers. I think you need to deposit $25 with them in order to use their network. Many of their locations are free to us; you can find out on their app which are free and which are fee. They are usually maintained quite well; just be sure to check PlugShare before committing.

Once you have a couple of these trips out and about under your belt, you will need less prior planning and can adapt or adjust as need be according to your driving style and preferences.

They top up to maintain a $10 balance.

How do I obtain or activate a ChargePoint card?

You can sign up for a free ChargePoint card online or via our ChargePoint mobile app. After signup you will receive a free card within 7-10 business days. Once it arrives, you must log in to your account and activate your card. Go to My Account and select Manage ChargePoint Cards. Make sure you have your ChargePoint card on hand to enter the serial number and select save. You can also use your smartphone to start charging at any public charging station using Tap to Charge. For more information on using Tap to Charge, click here.

How do I pay for charging?

When you sign up for a free ChargePoint account, you provide payment info so you’ll be ready to charge wherever you go. The first time you use a public station with a fee, we’ll charge you $10 to keep as a balance on your account. If you only use free stations or only charge at home with ChargePoint Home, you’ll never be charged.

When I signed up for EVGo in 2020 I got 1 free RFID card. Can't find anything to say whether they still do that.
I've charged my Kona in Jackman, ME where there's no Verizon service so we _had_ to use RFID.

Seems silly to mention but I’ve seen too many people make the mistake of not realizing the different superchargers/speeds. Pulling into the supercharger location and connecting to the first plug, not realizing it’s a 150 kw charger or a 72 kw charger, while a 250 kw sits unused right next to them. Seen it happen multiple times. I don’t recall but I believe there are 2 superchargers along that route that I’ve used that had a mixture. 1 supercharger even had all 3 in the same lot. 1 is in the Carls Jr parking lot, the other was in a hotel parking lot.

• Informative
Seems silly to mention but I’ve seen too many people make the mistake of not realizing the different superchargers/speeds. Pulling into the supercharger location and connecting to the first plug, not realizing it’s a 150 kw charger or a 72 kw charger, while a 250 kw sits unused right next to them. Seen it happen multiple times. I don’t recall but I believe there are 2 superchargers along that route that I’ve used that had a mixture. 1 supercharger even had all 3 in the same lot. 1 is in the Carls Jr parking lot, the other was in a hotel parking lot.
Gallup and Holbrook are both like this. I saw the same guy pick the slow stalls at both of them :)

Also, you should use the new supercharger in Kingman instead of the old one which is slower. The newer one is also at a better location imo.

To clear up any confusion regarding the three types of Superchargers:

The "urban" chargers are 72kW. They are easily identified with their solid construction that the cable wraps beneath. Version 2 and 3 Superchargers loops the cable inside the vast opening. I have been to over 350 different Supercharger sites in the past eight years. I have never seen permanent urban 72kW Superchargers mixed in with the more common V2 and V3 installations.

However, from time-to-time Tesla has located temporary 72kW Superchargers at regular locations due to anticipated increased traffic or perhaps several stalls are out of order. These are always on wooden pallets, usually three to a cluster. Only two out of the three are usable at any given time with the third inaccessible. They augment the permanent installations until they can be expanded, repaired, or usage drops to lower levels.

The Version 2 Superchargers will have cables that are about 1 3/4" in diameter. They are heavy for their size. The Version 3 cables are much narrower, perhaps 3/4". They are light for their size.

The difference between using a V2 and V3 Supercharger with respect to charging time is not that significant unless you are in a race or wind up paired on a V2 Supercharger. I have used both in my wife's LR Model 3 to charge from approximately 15% to 65%. I don't recall the specific difference in time. I only know that when I have plugged in, walked to use the restroom, perhaps grab some ice water nearby and return to the car--maybe 15 minutes total--the car is usually ready to go on the V3 sites, and needs less than 5 minutes on the V2 sites. I've waited that long for slow moving freight trains.

To clear up any confusion regarding the three types of Superchargers:

... I have never seen permanent urban 72kW Superchargers mixed in with the more common V2 and V3 installations.

However, from time-to-time Tesla has located temporary 72kW Superchargers at regular locations due to anticipated increased traffic or perhaps several stalls are out of order. These are always on wooden pallets, usually three to a cluster. Only two out of the three are usable at any given time with the third inaccessible. They augment the permanent installations until they can be expanded, repaired, or usage drops to lower levels.

I was at the Indio, CA, supercharger back in the first week of March, and I could swear that there were at least a couple of permanent urban superchargers at the end of a row of V2s.

Even though I recorded a lot of that trip, I didn't think to get a good picture or video them. I did remark about it in the monologue I recorded while I was charging. Here's the link at that timecode,

(Warning: my wife has pointed out that my videos are really only a memento for me.)

Gallup and Holbrook are both like this. I saw the same guy pick the slow stalls at both of them :)

Also, you should use the new supercharger in Kingman instead of the old one which is slower. The newer one is also at a better location imo.

Also, the original supercharger location in Asheville, NC, at the outlet mall, still has 8 V2 stalls, along with 4 more recently-added V3 stalls on one end.

I almost always see the V2 stalls fill up first when I am there, sometimes even seeing people sharing V2 cabinets, when all the V3 stalls are still empty.

Van, not arguing; merely pointing out what appears on the navigation screen.

(I was at Indio in 2014 when the original eight slots were available.)

The navigation says 10 stalls, up to 150kW. So, that more or less confirms that there are two additional stalls. While it is certainly possible to install the 72kW chargers permanently, it makes more sense to have the ones that are on a pallet. Easy in, easy out. Unless there is some sort of maximum power issue there (seems unlikely, though) if Tesla wanted to expand, they would have installed V2 or V3 there instead of the puny urban charger set up. Moreover, with the chargers at two locations in the Greater Palm Springs area (off the interstate) and the two sites at Cabazon plus Beaumont, Indio is probably not that high up on Tesla's list for permanent expansion.

But hey, Tesla does not always perform the way many of us would have considered.