Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traveling Rock - Tesla Edition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Arrived at the Grants Pass Supercharger at 10:15 pm last Friday night, headed on a weekend car camping trip with buds through Middle Oregon. Anyway, it was dark out. I dropped a piece of rubbish on the pavement and went to pick it up, then started picking up other bits of trash.

Excuse the selfie - will be kept to a minimum henceforth - but we've just arrived and must document every moment. Note debris on ground.

IMG_0190.jpg

As I collect trash in an empty chip bag, I attempt to pick up what appears to be a small piece of paper... I don't realize it's attached to a rock, because the rock blends in with the concrete...

[Important] Oh cool, a side quest!!!

IMG_0191.jpg

It's a Tesla Traveling Rock! Now the pressure is on to bring wonder and joy to the presumed small child who made this rock. I will also attempt to bring wonder and joy to the presumed adults on TMC. I might have been the first to pick it up since I can't find photos of it anywhere on the internet. I don't use FB so maybe someone can help post these pics over there. I hope whoever made the rock gets to see our adventure together!!

IMG_0192.jpg

Okay, got a kid to impress and a road trip to conquer, so here goes...

Left Grants Pass with around 80% SOC after charging overnight at the Riverside Inn on the Rogue River. Didn't realize they had free chargers so imagine how happy I was when one of their EV stalls was unoccupied! Started off at 3 kWh but was up to 7 kWh in the morning.

If you are into farmers markets, the Grants Pass Growers Market was phenomenal. This post is about the rock, though, so I won't bore you with photos of fresh-corn-by-the-truckload and artisanal rustic olive loafs and pounds and pounds of plums.

One of my favorite things about keeping the MCU on satellite is seeing weird stuff in the vicinity and going to there. Coupled with a predilection for taking the turn at almost every Historical Marker sign, it makes for exciting detours. Real locals-only type places.

We saw a bridge on the satellite map in the middle of nowhere so we went. On our way to the bridge, along a seldom-traveled dusty gravel road, an entire flock of wild turkeys crossed the street. It was ridiculous and hilarious.

IMG_0313.jpg

Lost Creek Bridge in Lake Creek, Oregon. The sign on the bridge said it was built in 1881, in the time of horses and buggies and steam tractors. Mewtwo wants in :(

Arrived at Klamath Falls SC. Charged up to 94% before heading up to Crater Lake. There was a recycling center/upcycled art store in the parking lot, REACH, but it was closed. Looked cool from the outside.

IMG_0345.jpg

Annie Creek in Crater Lake National Park. The Ponderosa pine here is magnificent. Everything smells good.

IMG_0389.jpg

Crater Lake Destination Charger! Didn't even notice it til my friend pointed it out. Stopped here for about 10 minutes. Cool hut.

IMG_0409.jpg

Crater Lake is a geological delight. I learned via Podcast on the drive up that the proper word to describe this crater-like lake, however, is caldera. It took 700+ years to fill with water after the eruption of Mount Mazama.

IMG_0413.jpg

Drove to the other side of the park and hiked down via Cleetwood Cove. This Tesla Rock has now been on top of a rock inside a lake inside a caldera.

IMG_0434.jpg

We camped for the night at Diamond Lake, about 30 minutes away, then headed to Bend in the morning to charge before continuing on our way. More to come!

Reactions: ckoval7
Part 2 of the traveling rock!

IMG_0479.jpg

My fingernails are so dirty after camping and not showering for two days :D Bend, OR

IMG_0522.jpg

View of Mt Washington taken from the top of the Dee Wright Observatory! Lava fields galore. Volcanoes are so cool.

IMG_0517.jpg

Sisters Mountains

IMG_0582.jpg

Detroit, OR Supercharger. Lots of local flavor. Pretty and rural.

IMG_0617.jpg

We arrived at Olallie Lake with a very dirty car indeed. So. Many. Dust. Fingerprints. Managed to not bottom out on the thrilling forest road filled with deep pot holes. Definitely added some nice new dings to my rocker panels though! Took about an hour off the main route to get up there going 5 mph. Had a whole truckload of folks roll down their windows and give us the thumbs up when they saw the M3 :D

IMG_0630.jpg

Olallie Lake with Mt Jefferson in the background. This was the view from our campsite!

IMG_0706.jpg

On our way home - just for funsies ;)

Reactions: IT Geek
Arrived at the Grants Pass Supercharger at 10:15 pm last Friday night, headed on a weekend car camping trip with buds through Middle Oregon. Anyway, it was dark out. I dropped a piece of rubbish on the pavement and went to pick it up, then started picking up other bits of trash.

Excuse the selfie - will be kept to a minimum henceforth - but we've just arrived and must document every moment. Note debris on ground.

View attachment 444421

As I collect trash in an empty chip bag, I attempt to pick up what appears to be a small piece of paper... I don't realize it's attached to a rock, because the rock blends in with the concrete...

[Important] Oh cool, a side quest!!!

View attachment 444420

It's a Tesla Traveling Rock! Now the pressure is on to bring wonder and joy to the presumed small child who made this rock. I will also attempt to bring wonder and joy to the presumed adults on TMC. I might have been the first to pick it up since I can't find photos of it anywhere on the internet. I don't use FB so maybe someone can help post these pics over there. I hope whoever made the rock gets to see our adventure together!!

View attachment 444419

Okay, got a kid to impress and a road trip to conquer, so here goes...

Left Grants Pass with around 80% SOC after charging overnight at the Riverside Inn on the Rogue River. Didn't realize they had free chargers so imagine how happy I was when one of their EV stalls was unoccupied! Started off at 3 kWh but was up to 7 kWh in the morning.

If you are into farmers markets, the Grants Pass Growers Market was phenomenal. This post is about the rock, though, so I won't bore you with photos of fresh-corn-by-the-truckload and artisanal rustic olive loafs and pounds and pounds of plums.

One of my favorite things about keeping the MCU on satellite is seeing weird stuff in the vicinity and going to there. Coupled with a predilection for taking the turn at almost every Historical Marker sign, it makes for exciting detours. Real locals-only type places.

We saw a bridge on the satellite map in the middle of nowhere so we went. On our way to the bridge, along a seldom-traveled dusty gravel road, an entire flock of wild turkeys crossed the street. It was ridiculous and hilarious.

View attachment 444418

Lost Creek Bridge in Lake Creek, Oregon. The sign on the bridge said it was built in 1881, in the time of horses and buggies and steam tractors. Mewtwo wants in :(

Arrived at Klamath Falls SC. Charged up to 94% before heading up to Crater Lake. There was a recycling center/upcycled art store in the parking lot, REACH, but it was closed. Looked cool from the outside.

View attachment 444417

Annie Creek in Crater Lake National Park. The Ponderosa pine here is magnificent. Everything smells good.

View attachment 444416

Crater Lake Destination Charger! Didn't even notice it til my friend pointed it out. Stopped here for about 10 minutes. Cool hut.

View attachment 444415

Crater Lake is a geological delight. I learned via Podcast on the drive up that the proper word to describe this crater-like lake, however, is caldera. It took 700+ years to fill with water after the eruption of Mount Mazama.

View attachment 444414

Drove to the other side of the park and hiked down via Cleetwood Cove. This Tesla Rock has now been on top of a rock inside a lake inside a caldera.

View attachment 444413

We camped for the night at Diamond Lake, about 30 minutes away, then headed to Bend in the morning to charge before continuing on our way. More to come!
Glad you had success in 2021 at Annie Creek near Crater Lake. We were there in July 2022 and a fellow Tesla owner said only one of the two charging cables worked, and he was using it. After he left, found no plugs would fit our car (tried all three adapters in our mobile charging kit).