Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trickle charge over winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is it possible to Trickle charge over winter (not driving just letting Tesla model s sit)? like just plug in wall outlet set car at something like 20% charge and leave it outside?
Yes, but I don't think the app or in-car let you set the car to less than 50% desired charge.

I'd be hard-pressed to leave my Tesla (or ANY) car just sitting outside unused for several months. Its clearly going to be less problematic for an EV, but the brakes are going to get SUPER rusty even on an EV.

It would be best to store the Tesla Model Y or any vehicle over the winter inside a climate controlled garage where the temperature and humidity can be controlled. Tires can develop flat spots when a vehicle sits for too long. Beware of small rodents building nests in the vehicle out of the soy based wire insulation, hoses and other soft chewable materials. (This is an issue with all newer vehicles that use soy based wire insulation and hoses.)

Plugged in and able to charge with the battery state of charge limit set to 50% is recommended. Turn off Sentry mode else the Tesla Model Y will remain in Standby mode, not enter sleep mode. Energy consumption would be 5 to 6 kWh per 24 hours (this would cost ~$1.00 per day or more depending on utility rates) with Sentry mode turned on. With Sentry mode turned off, able to enter Sleep mode the power consumption would be 1/10th as much.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about brake rust, just be prepared on the first drive brakes might have rust and not stop well. First drive do with no traffic - after the vehicle is up to speed do a bunch of stops progressing from very light brakes to eventually a number of very quick 70-5 stops. That should wipe off the rust.

I'd change brake fluid every 2 years and inspect brakes are moving well regardless of storage. The caliper can stop moving smoothly and get stuck from rust/salt/etc but that could honestly happen even while driving as some people go forever without using brakes on a Tesla. In your case I'd inspect brakes when you return.

To prevent tire flat spots either have someone move once a month or get tire savers (tire cushions) to sit on.

Its actually best for the battery to be stored in a cool location to prevent degradation - so cooler or cold temperatures such as the winter is much better for storage than summer.

well this is a 2015 s. are rodents attracted to heat of battery or just shelter?
There is no battery heating taking place in the Tesla vehicle while parked. There is some battery warming while charging but that will be minimal only as needed to bring the battery charge back to 50% after the state of charge drops a few percent.

Rodents instinctively need to chew (it helps wear down their teeth as rodents' teeth continuously grow). Rodents will shred insulation, really anything at hand to build nests. Tests have shown that a common house mouse can crawl through a hole smaller than a nickel but larger than a dime. There are many places where small rodents can enter the Tesla vehicle, start building a nest and hoarding a winter food supply where food sources are available. Modern wire harnesses, hoses are made of a soy based plastic. Rodents are attracted to the wire covering material or at least not repelled by the taste. You should remove all sources of food such as pet food, bird feed or grass seed from a garage if storing a vehicle. Also, all crumbs and food needs to be cleaned from the vehicle.

In places such as Florida the problem would be insects, especially ants, Ants will seek dry places to build nests. Some ant species, i.e. crazy ants are attracted to electrical equipment (maybe it is the magnetic field generated or maybe some other property.) With ants, insects you can use insecticides and ant bait to control the issue. Mold and mildew control (another topic) requires climate controlled parking and ventilation.

The best way to keep small animals from moving into your ride it to drive it regularly, don't park in the same place every time.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobmane and Darmie
So you are saying to keep it charged at 50% would cost $1.00 a day?
Depending on your local electric utility rate, yes. $1.00 US would approximately be the cost of leaving Sentry mode turned on 24 hours. It is not Sentry mode that consumes all of the energy. It is the Tesla Model Y remaining in Standby mode while Sentry mode is active that would run up the utility bill. Set Sentry mode to be Off at the parked location (assume Home location.) The Tesla vehicle will still lock, the Tesla vehicle alarm system would be active while the Tesla Model Y is parked, in Sleep mode. Power consumption in Standby mode ~ 230W continuous; consumption in Sleep mode ~25W. (about 1/10th as much as Standby mode.)