Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tried non-Tesla charger problem ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, new here but have had my S70 for 2 years now, has been fantastic!

I am Australian but actually reside in China for over a decade now. I own not just the S70 here, but also another EV, a Chinese JAC small suv, about 110hp or 2.0 equivalent in power (and a little like the Tesla, a killer at traffic lights due to the massive torque! - though not quite Tesla levels!).

As China now has many power points for the JAC and the other manufacturers of EVs here, and expanding rapidly all over the country, I decided to learn how to hook up the S70 to enable more choices for travelling, as I am in a rural area lacking a little on Tesla Superchargers. I have adapters to suit.

But the moment I plug it into my JAC wall charger (in use daily otherwise), it clunks, lights at the port go out and nothing. The car just sits there in "ready to charge" mode.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Mark :)

I agree with @NewTMSMan , it is likely you need to set your amps very low at first and watch your voltage. Slowly increase the amperage until you see the voltage start to drop, then that is likely about as high as you can charge with that cord.

Just as an aside -- calling that a "charger" is not correct -- the charger(s) are in the car(s). That cord is just supplying the electricity to the charger. We would call it an EVSE, and it is likely a pretty dumb one at that.

The Tesla assumes a certain amount of power available depending on the type of connection, and it is likely assuming way too much power availability from that plug. It is just shutting down, since it is trying to draw a lot more power from the plug than what is available.

Don't you have a Mobile Connector with the Tesla? Can't you just use that plugged into the wall?

Please be patient with us, we are trying to help but can only do so in general terms, since we know absolutely nothing about power availability and specifications where you are, nor anything about the cable you are using.