Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trim materials question... Does anyone really know???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
There seems to be confusion in this and other forum as to what material the following "shiny" pieces are made from. Does anyone know for sure?

1. Door Handles
2. Door Mirror mounts
3. Trim that people are "Chrome Deleting"

My understanding (but no facts) is in RED below:

1. Door Handles - Machined and polished aluminum
2. Door Mirror mounts - Machined and polished aluminum, or high grade plastic
3. Trim that people are "Chrome Deleting" - Stamped and polished Stainless-Steel

In other words, there isn't ANY CHROME plated crappy metal on the M3 (like your father's Buick) :p

Reactions: Kleenerth3
[QUOTE="jebinc, post: 3853688, member: 107389] My understanding (but no facts) is in RED below:

1. Door Handles - Machined and polished aluminum
2. Door Mirror mounts - Machined and polished aluminum, or high grade plastic
3. Trim that people are "Chrome Deleting" - Stamped and polished Stainless-Steel
[/QUOTE]

My take:

1. Door handles- Cast and polished aluminum
2. Mirror mounts- Plastic (very well done for plastic)
3. Window trim- Polished stainless steel or polished aluminum

Chromed steel, aluminum and plastic
- T’s,
- Model 3 rear licence plate frame
- Front fender turn signal repeater/camera cap
- Rear badging (if any)

Last edited:
Wait. So people are bugged because people are calling it a chrome delete when it’s not technically chrome? <insert blank stare>

Not sure how you got that out the post; it was just additional information so folks knew what trim pieces I was talking about.

“Wait, so people with a whopping 25 posts are bugged and sensitive because they can’t grasp the concept members just looking for information, so they quickly jump on false assumptions....” :p

Last edited:
Not sure how you got that out the post; it was just additional information so folks knew what trim pieces I was talking about.

“Wait, so people with a whopping 25 posts are bugged and sensitive because they can’t grasp the concept members just looking for information, so they quickly jump on false assumptions....” :p

Not sure how I got that out of your post?

“3. Trim that people are "Chrome Deleting"”

And

In other words, there isn't ANY CHROME plated crappy metal on the M3 (like your father's Buick) :p

If you can’t see how that can be taken as being snarky about people using the term “chrome delete”...well...

I wasn’t talking about your intention to obtain information (which was clear). Valid question imo.

Post count justifications are fairly worthless. Again, imo.

Last edited:
It's nice to know what materials you're up against when starting a DIY project. I assumed the door handles were aluminum, they are plastic. Open the door handle and hold it in the open position of it so you won't harm the finish side, take a metal rod or something and tap on the inside. That sound is plastic and why I didn't want to cut my Chrome minimize pieces on top of it.
So are the mirror mounts.
Door/ window trims are stainless steel as well as the quarter panel cameras.
Only actual chrome are the badges, frunk trunk and I think the steering wheel.
Now that you all know, have fun customizing your beautiful rides and post them suckers!! Looking forward to seeing it. :cool: