Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P after market wheel fitment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you recommended going with hub rings that will fit the larger part of the hub lip (70.1mm) instead of the 64.1mm I got to accommodate to smaller part of the step hub?
No, you need rings which accomodate the lip. Not easy to find TBH. Or you get wheels with the lip machined in the bore in the first place as Tesla OE wheels do.

No, you need rings which accomodate the lip. Not easy to find TBH. Or you get wheels with the lip machined in the bore in the first place as Tesla OE wheels do.
No he doesn't. Rings that clear the step are just fine. All the rings do is help approximately center the wheel during mounting. Actual centering is done by lugs however. Zero reason to overpay for rings with special machining for the lip.

Those rings look problematic. It's possible that the little ridge at their bottoms is got squished during mounting and is precluding a proper contact between the wheel and the hub. I'd pull one wheel and look. Or post a picture of the gap you think you see between the wheel and the hub.
Do not drive until you're sure that the wheels are sitting proper against the hub.

Newbie here……..but I have a quick question regarding aftermarket wheels on my 23 Model 3 Performance.

Short story, I had the 20” uberturbines swapped out with new 19” aftermarket wheels. I got the 73.1mm to 64.1mm hub rings to help center the wheels on the hub as well. Tire shop installed the new wheels and said everything mounted up good and I basically drove home. On my drive home, I noticed clunky noise coming from the wheels primarily on bumps and inspected the wheels when I got home. All lugs are still tight but it seems like the wheel isn’t completely flush on the hub because I can see a tiny hairline gap.

I read about the stepped lip hub that we have on the performance model so I have 3mm spacers on the way. Just wanted to get some input if anyone has dealt with the same problem and how they fixed this problem.
Do you know what size centerbore are your aftermarket wheels?

Common sizes are 72.56 or 73mm. We have dedicated M3P hub-centric rings for these sizes.

Additionally, make sure the backpad of your wheels clears the 10mm rotor retainer bolt.
Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 10.36.51 AM.png

^if this is what's holding you up, simply remove the bolt on each corner. The purpose of this bolt is to simply hold the rotor during assembly. This will not affect performance or safety.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Regards,
Danny