Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip planning - mid June UK > France > Spain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

M3noob

Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2019
Beyond the pale
Fortune favours the brave - my allegedly heraldic family motto. We'll see.

Are there any recent reports on the availability of the Superchargers at Folkestone? The trains are running and the French say that quarantine is "requested", not shot on sight or relieved of your valuables. And not even requested if you are enroute to another country...

I am armed with a portfolio of non-Tesla charge affiliation cards/fobs but will stick to Tesla on the way down because they are faster. Maybe cheaper. Probably simpler.

I'm finding no trouble booking hotels although we are Dreamcase equipped. Booked a Michelin-starred meal along the way as well.

Both the in-car navigation and the ABRP want to route me through the disaster area called Paris. Have I overlooked any way to change waypoints? TomTom did that to me once upon a time. Forget that!

Advice or commiserations invited.

Thanks. Dated 15 May. A fortnight is a long time in this mess. I saw those posts. Things will undoubted change again but CURRENT info going forward will be greatly appreciated.
I think the key here is that the Superchargers will only be available once the terminal buildings are open. They are currently closed. Also there is this warning on the Eurotunnel website:

“Travel from the UK to France:
Our passenger shuttle services continue to operate. Please check carefully before travelling to Folkestone, as you may be turned away by the French Authorities if you don't have a completed attestation stating one of the following reasons to enter the country:

• French nationals (with spouse / children)
  • Going home to a main residence
  • Essential work in France
  • Medical staff
  • Visiting / transporting your own children
NO HOLIDAYS“

Reactions: zayn and CMc1
I think the key here is that the Superchargers will only be available once the terminal buildings are open. They are currently closed. Also there is this warning on the Eurotunnel website:

“Travel from the UK to France:
Our passenger shuttle services continue to operate. Please check carefully before travelling to Folkestone, as you may be turned away by the French Authorities if you don't have a completed attestation stating one of the following reasons to enter the country:

• French nationals (with spouse / children)
  • Going home to a main residence
  • Essential work in France
  • Medical staff
  • Visiting / transporting your own children
NO HOLIDAYS“

According to the relevant French ministry, the attestation is no longer required. I've read it in French and the English translation. The info lag from secondary sources is annoying. That includes our own government clowns.

This may help (in English)

The ministry of foreign affairs, le Quai d’Orsay, clearly states: “[Travellers from the UK] whatever their nationality [will be] invited to undertake a [14-day] quarantine [upon arrival to France].”

It will apply to travellers arriving via any means, including by air, sea, or train.

It will not apply to travellers who are entering France only to transit to another country, nor to aircraft staff, goods transporter drivers, seasonal farm workers, or medics and researchers working against Covid-19.

Coronavirus : les voyageurs arrivant en France en provenance du Royaume-Uni devront se mettre en quatorzaine à partir du 8 juin

Last edited:
Thanks. Read that. Telegraph subscribers ;-) Secondary sources always lag.

Owning a farm in Catalunya may do the trick.

If all else fails, a week in the vineyards of the Languedoc, as a consolation prize, isn't bad. Baix Emporda is better, though :)

Owning a farm will make no difference unless you have Residency

Under current border restrictions, only Spanish citizens, those who are legally resident in Spain, frontier workers or those who can prove they need to enter Spain for essential reasons will be allowed to enter the country.

Only green residency certificates will be accepted as proof of residency in Spain and British travellers who are not resident and/or not in possession of this certificate should not attempt to enter the country. Padron certificates, utility bills and property deeds will not be accepted by Spanish authorities as proof of residency.

another source here from yesterday

The quarantine rules for Spain, Greece, Italy, France and Portugal

I'd say if you can, at least put it off until July.

We had a road trip to Perpignan planned for 5th July but re-scheduled it all a few weeks ago. We've provisionally rearranged for 30th August but rating it 50:50 at best. Given the way our incompetent Government have and continue to act, we could be on lockdown three by then :(

Reactions: drewpost
We had a road trip to Perpignan planned for 5th July but re-scheduled it all a few weeks ago. We've provisionally rearranged for 30th August but rating it 50:50 at best. Given the way our incompetent Government have and continue to act, we could be on lockdown three by then :(

Further to Frence/Spanish travel plans: hotels and dinners booked in France with no issues for after 15 June

Phase 2 deconfinement in France: What changes today?

Spain remains iffy

Try mentioning the ferry from Plymouth. Might help things a long. My wife can’t get enough of road trips

Had a look on Brittany Ferries and the sailing days/times are pretty limited :( Saturday crossing gets to Spain at 5pm then it's another 9.5 hours + supercharging to the villa so we'd arrive middle of the night which isn't really an option for kids or meeting the villa host...next nearest day is Wednesday!

Shame as it would work well on the way back.

Had a look on Brittany Ferries and the sailing days/times are pretty limited :( Saturday crossing gets to Spain at 5pm then it's another 9.5 hours + supercharging to the villa so we'd arrive middle of the night which isn't really an option for kids or meeting the villa host...next nearest day is Wednesday!

Shame as it would work well on the way back.

cheap hotel in Spain after the ferry

I did a trip from uk to Germany and back via France and Belgium last week. A few points:

- Superchargers weren't a problem. Even those at tunnel were available (lady at check in booth said she could get security to let me through if I needed).

- You need documents justifying your journey to enter France. These are available on French govt website linked to via Eurotunnel. I was checked at both Felixstowe and at Belgium boarder on return. I think it's a fine if you don't have them.

- Roads were quiet!

- Belgians are as bad at driving as ever !!

Last edited: