Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip to Yellowstone from Minnesota

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

That will give you everything you need to know about charging. Beyond that, web searching is a wonderful thing!

Make sure you pay attention to hotels that have destination chargers. If you are paying for your supercharging (purchased your car before 2017) then you can certainly save the difference in hotel cost from the supercharging cost. A diminishingly small number of hotels also have j1772 chargers. If you do have that adapter, I think most Tesla's even now come with them, you can use those as well. In any event, it's like being at home, set it to 90% before you go to sleep, and bump it up to and turn the preheat on when you get up.

But, I should say, except for finding hotels with a destination charger at night, I just trust the in car nav. Haven't had a problem yet.

While it is certainly nice to stay at one of the lodges inside the Yellowstone National park, those locations
are often booked long time in advance, mostly by travel agencies, and are also on the pricey side.
You can however visit them during the day and have a meal there and take advantage of the terrace view,
but table reservation would be recommended.

Otherwise I would recommend staying at West Yellowstone, MT since there is a Tesla Supercharger,
and also several hotels and various restaurants, souvenir shops and even grocery stores.
If you like BBQ, I would recommend the Fire Hole BBQ, but go there earlier to avoid a long line
and also the Bisket selection run out very fast.

There is no Internet inside the Yellowstone National park. You could prepare your itinerary
using the Tesla Navigation display before entering inside the park, however the first time you will stop,
your itinerary will be lost and then you will not be able to access your navigation, which
is quite useful especially for getting the estimated battery range.

Best is then to save in advance your itinerary on your phone. However, the Tesla GPS Map display will be
still available, which can be very useful when driving on smaller roads to reach some interesting spots.
From my previous experience, after a full charge, I was able to drive one day doing the
north round circle and the next day doing the south circle on the same charge.

I would also recommend visiting the Grand Teton National Park area, but you will need a full charge,
to reach Jackson, WY where there are good restaurants and a Tesla Supercharger a little bit south
at the Whool Foods Market. You should take the Highway 32 on the way back if you are returning to
West Yellowstone, MT, which would be faster because the speed is limited to 25 mph inside the National Parks.

Last edited:
I90-194 probably best route in terms of ease of charging. The East Entrance is my preference-but charging in Cody is really limited. (I have written 3 or 4 times to their Chamber of Commerce -gave them Tesla's address, etc. but, unlike West Yellowstone, they have not put in chargers.) The only time I've ever seen a grizzly was between East Entrance and Yellowstone Lake. Charging is available at Canyon-but is usually in use toward evenings by guests. As suggested above, West Yellowstone is safest location to assure charging. I've scoured Grant Village for a 120V outlet--but have found nothing. One advantage to driving in the park is you can only go about 35MPH-so range is pretty good. But the park is worth the effort...have fun

Reactions: henderrj

That will give you everything you need to know about charging. Beyond that, web searching is a wonderful thing!

Make sure you pay attention to hotels that have destination chargers. If you are paying for your supercharging (purchased your car before 2017) then you can certainly save the difference in hotel cost from the supercharging cost. A diminishingly small number of hotels also have j1772 chargers. If you do have that adapter, I think most Tesla's even now come with them, you can use those as well. In any event, it's like being at home, set it to 90% before you go to sleep, and bump it up to and turn the preheat on when you get up.

But, I should say, except for finding hotels with a destination charger at night, I just trust the in car nav. Haven't had a problem yet.
Thank very much for the great info!! I will take a look into the url! 🙌🏼

Reactions: henderrj