Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tritium to deliver 10,000 EV DC fast chargers to the UK by 2030

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re-reading the artical again.

Evyve have placed an order for 10,000 fast chargers.

Thats it. just an order for the units which will end up in a warehousse somewhere waiting for a day to be installed on site or sold on at a profit.

Its not the final product being installed and then used by us. Evyve may only install 10-20% of those by 2030. Time will tell.

Back to charging around the back of the Hungry Horse it is. Atleast the guys in the tinted windowed BMW with a smoke aroma thats does not smell like cigarettes are friendly.

I'm going to be safely inside the pub ... having one-for-the-road :)

I read somewhere (Forbes maybe ?) that 3rd party charging experience could be improved by:

Start the charge the moment you plug in, and allow say 60 seconds to complete identification / payment card / etc. etc.

If none of that happens (because of software integration, rather than fraud) then the user has gained a couple of miles to enable them to get to another, working!, charger.

If you complete the ID stuff then you have already saved some minutes (i.e. similar to Tesla experience)

They reckoned money-lost would be inconsequential compared to brand brownie-points.
I have heard anecdotal evidence of superchargers allowing charging even if your payment method has expired. This seems eminently sensible ( within reason) since leaving someone, who bought a 50K car from you, stranded at the side of the road for the sake of an expiry date would be a great way to alienate your customers. Not sure how much grace you get

Re-reading the artical again.

Evyve have placed an order for 10,000 fast chargers.

Thats it. just an order for the units which will end up in a warehousse somewhere waiting for a day to be installed on site or sold on at a profit.

Its not the final product being installed and then used by us. Evyve may only install 10-20% of those by 2030. Time will tell.

Back to charging around the back of the Hungry Horse it is. Atleast the guys in the tinted windowed BMW with a smoke aroma thats does not smell like cigarettes are friendly.
TBH I don't see where they got 10,000 from..

"The agreement between the two companies includes an initial total order for 350 Tritium EV DC fast chargers, 60 of which are now online. evyve says it plans to install “thousands more” chargers by the end of 2025 but doesn’t give a target number for that date."

It looks like they've just handwaved 10,000 from that..

Not sure how much grace you get

its probably changed, but I seem to remember it was something along the lines of "If no payment method we'll add it to your bill next time you come in for service". As long as the number of absconders is small the benefit to Brand Name will be worth having - particularly when the competition does such a good job of making it easy for you to make yourself look good!

Reactions: ringi
I've seen a couple of chargers in Scotland that used to be 22kw (two AC connectors) converted into 25kw single CCS DC "fast chargers". IMO even 50KW shouldn't be called a fast charger, the cut off should be 100KW.

The terminology (give or take) has generally been regarded as: SLOW - up to 7kW ... FAST - 7kW+ ... RAPID - 50kW+ ... Ultra RAPID - 100/150kW+ (So on that basis even 7kW is "fast"... which it is compared with charging at 10amps using the UMC.) The problem arises because informally we do tend refer to "fast charging" when we should use the terms "Rapid" or "Ultra Rapid".

I went to a Greene King pub the other day and charged up at the same time as having lunch at some new Evyve chargers. The charger worked flawlessly through an app and although branded as 75kw, was 50kw. There were 4 bays and 2 charging units, although I don’t know if both connectors can be used at once. Zap map has it listed as 3 chargers, but it’s 2. The charging experience was better than the dining experience. That’s not a general criticism of all Greene King pubs, as I regularly use one in London with better food. The location was next to a busy roundabout and well lit. I did also see other people charging and not going inside so it’s being used as a charging station for non-pub customers as well.

The town I live in has a population of 25000 - 30000 and we don’t have a single public charger of any type. I noticed that Evyve is putting something into a pub in our town. I regularly drive past another new Evyve location and that also appears to have 2 chargers as well.

Just up the East Lancs road (A580) from the Greene King pub I visited is a Shell garage at J23 of the M6 with a single 50 kWh charger. Sure I’d like to see the Shell garage have 6 modern ultra chargers, but at the moment every charger helps going into charger black spots and this speed is ideal for a location wanting you to come in and get some refreshments whilst charging.

I'm not sure I agree, for people that can't charge at home surely something like a petrol station with the fastest charging possible is the tried and tested formula. We already have all these petrol stations, better to reuse those sites rather than have a country full of abandoned infrastructure. Well maintained, safe and convenient, all things that a single charger in the back of a Green King pub won't ever be.
If you can’t charge at home, it’s far easier to leave you car charging at the train station or the office without having to think about it.

Going out of your way to sit at a rapid charger for 40 minutes isn’t convenient (and will likely be far more expensive).

Reactions: WannabeOwner
..."evyve, which is part of regeneration company Peel L&P, is working with pub retailer Greene King, which operates more than 2,700 pubs, restaurants, and hotels across England, Wales, and Scotland."

So fag packet maths (always a dangerous thing) roughly 3 chargers per pub carpark or say 1 in 3 pubs would have roughly 10 chargers. Either way its a significant number.

Probably not a bad idea putting them in pub carparks, as long as you don't look at the drink and drive angle too hysterically.

If you can’t charge at home, it’s far easier to leave you car charging at the train station or the office without having to think about it.

Going out of your way to sit at a rapid charger for 40 minutes isn’t convenient (and will likely be far more expensive).
Agree...but...

With 33M+ cars in the collective fleet, moving them all over to electric over the coming decades, requires charging infra. to be considered in a holistic sense.

That is we collectively need a stack more (reliable) plug-and-charge DC fast charging alternatives AS WELL AS more home, work, street, station (and anywhere else we can stuff them) regular AC chargers.

I actually suspect they probably are worse than superchargers if only because they are more complicated.
Superchargers don't have a screen or any form of payment mechanism attached. In the main they also only have to work with one type of car so no incompatibility issues.
I am not even sure any form of network connectivity is required to initiate a charge on a supercharger just coms between the car and charger which, if correct, would eliminate another failure path given our shoddy mobile phone networks, but I may be wrong.
I would also be shocked if Tesla had not iterated the heck out of any unreliable components to make the SuC as reliable as possible and minimise service and down time. That would be a very Tesla thing to do.

The other thing that makes life easier for Tesla is that their chargers are grouped in large groups so less sites to maintain, that must help. Tesla has over 900 chargers in the UK but only about 90 sites. Instavolt I think has a similar number of chargers but they have over 400 sites to visit and maintain. That has to make it harder.
Tesla Supercharging is great. I'm a great fan.

However I don't believe the future is proprietary. This is a mistake. To move the vast volumes of cars to electric the charging infrastructure needs to be plug-and-charge and it needs to be mandated to conform (and interoperability tested to death) to ISO 15118. if this is not good enough right now, then it needs more work by the car manufacturers and charger manufacturers. Just in the same way we have national and international standards for oil, fuel, tyres, etc etc.

Long term: proprietary DC charging networks make about as much sense as proprietary fuel pumps for petrol and diesel.

Reactions: ACarneiro
I'm not convinced this is a model that drivers really need, surely we want larger and faster charging hubs. I wonder if their business model is more about selling the service to the pub/retailer rather than making money from the drivers.

So I stop at a pub for a meal, my car is at 50% charge, if the charger at the pub is working and not in use, it will let me advoid visiting a charing hub later. I never planned to charge at the pub so nothing lost if the charger is in use.

"UK charging network evyve has placed an order with DC fast charger maker Tritium for a whopping 10,000 EV DC fast chargers by 2030."

Sorry, no idea who Evyve is and whether this is significant, whether the DNO and Planners can get sites in place in time etc. but the headline number caught my eye :)

electrek.co article

Didn't Ecotrcity, Ionity, Instavolt etc all promise the same. Next your be getting excited about the 'revolutions' in battery technology that's always just around the corner, whilst Tesla is still using essentially 2012 battery technology in their most expensive car :)